10-27-2009

USA

25 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 1 of 1

Lenovo k230 performance (games)

2010-02-26, 19:39 PM

Well this is a thread that im going to start about the k230 desktop machine as a budget gaming rig. Ill add more post as soon as i get more games but for now, ill post what i have in the meantime.

I bought my lenovo k230 as a replacement for my almost dying desktop from 2004. Bought this machine early september of 2009. And i coudlnt be happier with the purchase. I bought it a local Frys store for cheap!!! considering what the specs are inside, it was a good deal!!

And now you can purchase this model (if you can still find them) for around $300, last i checked. But the quad core k230 are more common which should be a step up from this machine for around $400.

From the purchase i also purchased a pny GTS 250 graphics card, coolmax 700w power supply to support the graphics card., and did the upgrade for windows 7 64 bit home premium. (took awhile but it made it here!)

System specs:

Lenovo k230

Processor:  Intel core 2 duo (e7400) @ 2.80ghz/core

Ram: 6GB ram installed (it came stock with the desktop so its the dd2 model)

HardDrive: 500 GB sata Hard drive

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Graphics: PNY GeForce GTS 250 512MB PCI-e card

Power Supply: Coolmax 700w power supply

Monitor: HannsG HG216D 22-inch monitor @1680 x 1050 @ 59Hz

Anything else is stock, no overclocking for cpu and no overclocking for graphics.

To test games and benchmark, i use fraps to display my Frames Per Second (FPS) if the game doesnt have a benchmark option.

Dragon Age: Origins

Settings:

RESOLUTION: 1600 x 900

GAME DETAIL: Ultra High

ANTI-ALIASING: Off

TEXTURE: High

V-SYNC: Off

Frame rate is at a surprising 75-85 FPS when running around. FPS is at 65-70 when doing battles. This machine runs this game well!! Only problem is that load times will increase since the game has a terrible memory leak (frmo what i read) and would need to restart the game every hour or so.

Stutters for the first 15 seconds after loaded but nice through out the game.

Mass Effect 2:

Settings:

RESOLUTION : 1600 X 900

GRAPHICS SETTINGS: Everything on HIGH

This game runs at a solid 60 FPS, and for a game that looks this amazing. I couldnt be happier! Doesnt stutter much/ not at all. Good gameplay all around.

Batman Arkham Asylum

Settings:

RESOLUTION: 1600 x 900

GRAPHICS SETTINGS: Everything on HIGH

PhysX - Off (i still need a dedicated physx card)

This game runs at 50-60 FPS. Solid gameplay.

I used to have mass effect, and crysis. but sold them. But from what i can tell, Both games ran well with my current setup. If i can borrwo from friends, Ill post with the FPS count.

I just bought Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, will test as soon as installed!

OBSERVATION:

For a sub $500, mass produced, commercial desktop, it kicks butt! Quiet, runs solid, havent had a crash/problem since day 1 and i had vista for a good 3 months of it. Im really happy with the purchase and if anyone is interested in picking up this model as a casual gamer, you can go wrong with this. especially with the price!

Will update soon with more games..........

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms