Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SIrDerp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,282
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo model 10181 (K450e) Upgrading graphics card andpower supply

Greetings,

I have a Lenovo model 10181 (K450e), it doesnt have the performance switch, only the circular power button.

My current specs are:

Processor: Intel core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6 GHz quad core 8 logical processors

Motherboard: CIB85M

RAM: 16.0 GB

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 720

Power Supply: 240 Watts

I'm planning to upgrade to the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SIngle Fan

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-6163-KR

Will this graphics card work?

However I am unclear of which power supply to upgrade to.

Any tips and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,266
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo model 10181 (K450e) Upgrading graphics card andpower supply

I believe that your system uses standard 24-pin ATX power plug (you should check), so you will not need any funky Lenovo 10 or 14 to 24 pin adapter, so you have a lot of options.   Most of the PSU's show the fan on the top, but you can simply turn the PSU upside down when installing, so it is not a big deal.

The specifications for the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SIngle Fan recommends a 400 watt power supply or better and requires one 6pin PCI-E power connection, so I would probably get at least a EVGA 500 watt ATX PSU, but if you think you might upgrade the GPU even further down the road, you might want to go with something even bigger like a EVGA 750 Watt BQ modular PSU , which will give you some room to grow, and is also modular, which allows you to only plug in the power cables you need for a much cleaner installation.    

There are of course many other brands  and sizes of PSU's out there to choose from.

EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-W1-0500-KR

EVGA 750 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 750W, Semi Modular, 5 Year Warranty

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=110-BQ-0750-V1

Good Luck,

SIrDerp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,252
Message 3 of 6

My apologies, since I have never upgraded a computer, I am inexperienced at this.

Since the forums can't post large pics, heres a link of the exact motherboard that I have.

http://www.ascendtech.us/lenovo-k450-90003259-desktop-motherboard_i_mbdskln90003259.aspx

Does this have the 24-pin ATX power plug?

Also, do power supply dimensions differ as the wattage increases?

Thanks

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,247
Message 4 of 6

Yes, that large white 24 pin connector just beyond the green memory slots is the main power connector, and there is another white 4 pin connector that together are the two main power connections to the motherboard.      

The rest of the connections are for the drives, such as a standard molex connector, for IDE hard drives and CD/DVD drives, and the SATA power connectors for SATA hard drives and CD/DVD drives depending on what you have... most likely SATA.     The other power connector you will need is the the one PCI-E connector 6-pin connector needed to power your new Nvidia 1060.  

The standard ATX power supplies are typically all about the same size height and width, but may be a bit longer in depth as shown by the dimensions shown below for the two EVGA power supplies I linked to earlier.   From looking at the case shown here with an EVGA 850 Installed(which I believe is the same as yours), I do not thing that length is an issue, but you probably should measure just to be sure.

EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W

85mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 140mm (L)

EVGA 750 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 750W

85mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 165mm (L)

If you have never replace the HD before, I would snap some photos and label the connections on the old power supply before removing them, and then just match them up with the new PSU.    It is really not that difficult, but it may take some playing around to route the cables neatly to allow for good air flow... which is easier if you get a semi-modular PSU since you need only install the actual connections being used.

FYI.   Most connectors are locked in by a tab that has to be released by depressing it, so you be gentile and make sure to not force anything.... If it is not coming off easily, you may have not depressed the lock tab fully..   A little wiggling may be needed, but they should pull of pretty easily.    Look at the locks on the new PSU, and it will be clear how to unlock them on the old PSU. 

Cheers,

SIrDerp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,241
Message 5 of 6

Greetings again,

Thank you so much for replying again.

Is there any specific instructions for replacing the graphics card? Or is it pretty much straightforward?

Finally, when graphics card and power supply are finally replaced, I can just turn on the desktop like normal correct? Or do I have to install some software?

My apologies for asking so many questions, I just don't want to be stumped during the replacement process.

Thanks

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,231
Message 6 of 6

The new power supply requires no configuration, and the video card will work without a specific driver, although you will want to install the latest one from Nvidia 

Installation is pretty straightforward, but I believe that you old GT 720 GPU is a single width card, so you will have to remove a second cover plate on the rear of the case to allow room for the new double width card, and that may require you to gently punch/pry out the second plate if not already affixed by a screw.  Usually you can use a flat bladed screw driver to break it free if it is just stamped in, but the metal is thin and soft, so do not be brutal.

Once installed, you should be able to just boot up and Windows will start with a default VGA driver, and then download a driver specific to your new card via Windows Update.    After that is complete, go to Nvidia's driver download page and select the options below under the Manual Driver Search (you can also download the driver ahead of time, and then just run the installer after installing the card)

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

• Geforce
  • GeForce 10 Series
  • GeForce GTX 1060
  • Windows 10 64-bit  (I presume you have more than 4GB of RAM, and thus must have the 64-bit version)
  • English
  • All

Cheers,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors