Did you mean: 
Highlighted
worldbuilder
Token Ring
Views: 12,763
Message 1 of 9

Loading Windows 7 x64 on H520s

Hi all,

I have an H520s, brand new.  I am trying to load Windows 7 x64 on it.  Upon booting from the DVD, I got an error; something about "Secure Boot" in Setup.  So I went in there and disabled Secure Boot.  Now, at least, the PC will boot from the DVD.

However, after the Windows boot DVD "loads files", it goes to the "Starting Windows" screen with the 4-colored flag and just sits there forever.  No progress, and I can't do anything.

Help!  Thanks!

Chris

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 12,761
Message 2 of 9

Re: Loading Windows 7 x64 on H520s

hi worldbuilder,

If your Lenovo H520s has a preloaded Windows 8 OS, can you try to:

1. Boot into the BIOS by pressing F1 on startup, when you're in, navigate to the Startup Tab and set the following settings:

CSM = Disabled

Boot Priority = Legacy First or Compatible/Compatibility

2. On the Exit Tab, set OS Optimized Defaults to Disabled.

3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS and try to boot from your Windows 7 Installation disc.

Let me know your findings.

Cheers

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

worldbuilder
Token Ring
Views: 12,738
Message 3 of 9

Hi Neokenchi,

CSM was disabled already.

Boot Priority was set to Legacy First and was unchangeable.

OS Optimized Defaults was Enabled, so I disabled it per your instructions.

Saved and rebooted.  Success!  Now, I see "Legacy" versions of the bootable drives (DVD).  Slected that, and Windows 7 is installing now.

Can I revert these settings post-installation?

Thanks!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 12,726
Message 4 of 9

hi worldbuilder,

Good to know it worked. You will need to keep the changes that you made to the BIOS as you will not be able to boot the Windows 7 OS if you revert back to the defaults settings.

As an alternative, if you want to install Windows 7 in UEFI mode, check this article.

Cheers

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Sweenytodd
What's DOS?
Views: 12,390
Message 5 of 9

Hi all - needed to do the same - put the windows 8 to a new windows 7on the Lenovo H520s (had a preloaded Windows 8 OS)

I had slightly different variant to you guys - here is my working soloution.

1. Boot into the BIOS by pressing F1 on startup, when you're in, navigate to the Startup Tab and set the following settings:

CSM = Enabled (Had to leave it enabled as it was the only way it would let me choose Legacy)

Boot Priority = Legacy 

2. On the Exit Tab, set OS Optimized Defaults to Disabled.

3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS and try to boot from your Windows 7 Installation disc.

I had tried almost every permatation - but hadn't reloaded the software each time - you have to do that...

Thank you very much you all saved me after a very long frustrating day.

mbmcnabb
What's DOS?
Views: 11,987
Message 6 of 9

I have tried all of the tips suggested here and I get a" cannot load windows on this disk" error.

Reason given is GPT Partition.

Aiso, I had originally tried replacing the HDD with a new smaller but still SATA and could not even get it to boot.

All suggestions gratefully received, except those that suggest blowing the darn thing to pieces.

Michael

woofer
Paper Tape
Views: 10,637
Message 7 of 9

I have the same problem and may return my new computer and just buy a win 7 computer

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,615
Message 8 of 9

Hi,

Is "the exact same problem" the " cannot load windows on this disk" message?

IIRC you can select advanced options when you get to the disk selection screen.  Delete all existing partitions and exit.  The installer should continue with an MBR install from there.

If that doesn't work, use F10 to launch a command prompt and run DISKPART  (see online diskpart documentation) and do a list disk, select, clean, and convert mbr.  Exit and continue the install.

It's possible that you'll have to restart the installation.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

ocean79
Paper Tape
Views: 7,471
Message 9 of 9

Hi,

I just purchased a new Lenovo H520e and there is only FreeDos installed on it (no other OS)

I changed the boot menu to be each one of the options but it still keeps going back to FreeDos screen

which says either press F5 to bypass \autoexec.bat or F8 for trace mode...

Please help im really lost and im starting to worry that the DVD is broken and i was smart enough to not buy gurantee.. im sure they will fix it since its been 3 days since purchase but id realy like to make sure it is a hardware problem before i go back there..

Please note - I plugged in a usb external drive and i saw it in the boot list but when i chose it i got the FreeDos again , or could that happen bc the drive isnt bootable.)

Please HelpSmiley Happy)

thanks in advance

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors