Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

09-20-2009

Chicago, IL, USA

4 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 1 of 2

No audio output on speakers plugged into 3000 H210

2009-09-20, 19:17 PM

I recently purchased a 3000 H210 57094408 running Vista home premium Service Pack 2 (all recent Vista updates have been installed). 

With speakers plugged into the back output port, I was able to open Lenovo HD Audio Manager and obtain test tones in stereo through my speakers.  I couldn't, however, get audio from iTunes, YouTube, etc., nor could I get test sounds in Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Sound->Sounds.  In Control Panel->->Sound->Playback, I noticed that there were two speakers shown, one Realtek HD speaker that was "working" and the USB Audio CODEC speakers I'd plugged in, which were also "working" and demonstrating audio levels in the status bar to the right of the speaker icon (I was playing music in iTunes while checking the settings).  I made sure the cheapo speakers were selected as the default, but still no sound was coming out of said speakers -- the same speakers that had made the test sound noises in Lenovo HD Audio Manager.

I suspected the HD speakers (the nature of which I knew not) were interfering with my cheapo speakers, so I disabled them, and they no longer appear in the list of speakers.  Now Lenovo HD Audio Manager shows no speakers at all, and the test tone option isn't available to me in that application.  Control Panel->->Sound->Playback still shows my cheapo speakers, but they do not even register sounds from iTunes anymore.  Both speakers appear in Device Manager, but I have no idea what the Realtek speakers are supposed to be -- no speakers were included with the Lenovo box.  If they are necessary (i.e., not really speakers but the method by which the sound card communicates with the speakers), how do I get them back up and running?

Per the User Guide, I have reinstalled the driver for the audio card (Realtek audio ALC 888/662 VISTA driver), but that hasn't done anything.  I'm out of options at this point and would love any guidance!  Thanks in advance.

Answer
Options

3 Posts

09-20-2009

Chicago, IL, USA

4 Signins

44 Page Views

Re: No audio output on speakers plugged into 3000 H210

2009-09-20, 20:14 PM

Update (and a successful one, no less)!  After an extended remix call with Lenovo support, we uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the Realtek controller (found in Device Manager under the sound controllers), which solved the problem.  Guess the controller driver had been corrupted, which is why it could work in the HD Audio Manager program but couldn't in the other applications.  Anyway, thought I'd post the solution in case anyone else has the no audio issue -- they can avoid some of my detours and missteps!

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

3 Posts

09-20-2009

Chicago, IL, USA

4 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 2 of 2

Re: No audio output on speakers plugged into 3000 H210

2009-09-20, 20:14 PM

Update (and a successful one, no less)!  After an extended remix call with Lenovo support, we uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the Realtek controller (found in Device Manager under the sound controllers), which solved the problem.  Guess the controller driver had been corrupted, which is why it could work in the HD Audio Manager program but couldn't in the other applications.  Anyway, thought I'd post the solution in case anyone else has the no audio issue -- they can avoid some of my detours and missteps!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms