12-14-2020

United States of America

20 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 4

No idea what BIOS I need. Very difficult to find exact file

2020-12-23, 7:32 AM

Hi. I have a Ideacentre 720 18-apr. Motherboard is the stock B450. I have a Ryzen 7 2700 and I am about to upgrade to a Ryzen 9 3900 (no, not the x series). I only see one bios download in the lenovo website that was updated in August of this year. I have it downloaded onto a usb drive but I am unsure if that's exactly what I need. Or, do I even have to update the bios at all? I'm new to upgrading, and I'm getting very uneasy not knowing if the only bios update for my series computer is the correct one. 

I do know that my motherboard will support the 9 3900. That's all I know. I have it and am ready to do it. Does anybody have any info you could pass on to reassure me on this? 

Options

4973 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8220 Signins

128918 Page Views

• Views: 128918
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:No idea what BIOS I need. Very difficult to find exact file

2020-12-23, 18:04 PM

@ Rddpnw wrote:

I do know that my motherboard will support the 9 3900. That's all I know. 

How do you know this "Lenovo" motherboard (mb) will support the 9 3900?  Do you have a link?  Because when I searched for you previously, I found no examples of it tried or working. 

Be aware an OEM (HP, Lenovo, Dell) mb does not have to support every possible CPU based on the Chipset and Socket (including newer generations with a BIOS update), unlike mb manufacturers like MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, etc. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

8 Posts

12-14-2020

United States of America

20 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2020-12-23, 18:37 PM

Ah. Great.... This is why I'm asking. I've had people tell me it'll work. But I don't see how other than b450 mb supports 9 3900. But this spec sheet attached says otherwise. I just don't know what to trust. 

Is it safe to say that I absolutely cannot upgrade to the 9 3900?

Screenshot_20201223-103431_Drive.jpg
Options

8 Posts

12-14-2020

United States of America

20 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2021-01-24, 1:14 AM

Update on all of this. Updated the latest bios, put new chip in... No video.

Put in old chip, no video. After flipping out for a month, I find that one of the ram slots are in fact bad, now. Doesn't make any sense to me. Now incan only use a ram module in one ram slot and I wish I never even tried. No way am I going to buy a new motherboard and relicense windows. Trash.

I'm giving this garbage to my girlfriend and ordered a custom built PC. Never doing this again. I researched forever on this and still can't find why cpu change ruined a ram slot.

Anyway, beware.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms