cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miguel_92
Paper Tape
Views: 1,485
Message 1 of 7

Possible motherboard or power supply failure?

As the title suggests, my Lenovo h50-55 may have a possible PSU/Motherboard issue. Because upon turning it on the screen is basically black but the tower will still come on and all the fans will spin still. I have tried taking the ram out and swapping it around, taking the graphics card out and using the monitor ports on the motherboard (VGA) and nothing works. It also doesn't beep or anything upon turning it on and the HDD light is very dim. I orignally thought it was a HDD problem but i managed to install windows 7 on it and it worked perfectly. The monitor works fine too, as i plugged a games console into it and it's fine. Yesterday a family member took it to a PC repair shop and i wrote everything down that i had attempted on it the tower, but he claimed the power supply was "16" and it couldn't be tested to see if it was broken. As modern machines have "20-24" regarding PSU, but i have zero clue what he is talking about and i'll have to call him today and ask lol. I really like the machine too and i don't want to replace it after only having it for two years, so any help would be great. Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,448
Message 2 of 7

Re: Possible motherboard or power supply failure?

I cannot be sure without seeing it, but when you turn the machine, the first thing that happens is that the power is tested.  If everything is good, a +5v signal comes back on the power-good lead.  At that time everything starts up.  Usually, if the fan and drives spin up, the power supply is ok.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Miguel_92
Paper Tape
Views: 1,440
Message 3 of 7

So it could be the motherboard that's broken then? Because i haven't changed a single component inside the machine since i have owned it, mainly because i haven't needed to lol. My very first computer had a broken motherboard/power supply and it didn't come on at all, but when it happened on my Lenovo machine i thought it could be the board and not the power supply. Unless the fans still spin etc with a broken power supply, if it can get enough power that is. unless that's wrong?

I've also been told it could be the chip because AMD chips can burn out, but i have also been told that can be a very rare occurrence in machines. It's main usage is for old PC games from 2008/2008 and they don't even put a dent in the peformance while they run on the highest settings. I'll also use it for music and watching videos, so nothing major is being done in order to make it burn out rapidly. One final thing, i have had to reset it A LOT via the tower, mainly because Windows 10 went mad and i had %100 disk usage, so could that have caused it? Or do you think everything just crashed at once? Because W10 definitely did crash lol.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,385
Message 4 of 7

Could be motherboard.  Could even be memory.  If you have 2 DIMMs, try them one at a time.  That is free to try.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Miguel_92
Paper Tape
Views: 1,373
Message 5 of 7

I have tried putting different RAM back in the two varying slots and i get nothing from doing that either. The machine doesn't beep or do anything, the fans just spin and the HDD light is dim and the power supply light comes on. I've been told the parts in the h50-55 are exclusively only to that machine and they'll cost a lot to order and replace.

Guru
Views: 1,332
Message 6 of 7

Hi Miguel.

Maybe I can recommend you to call the Lenovo Support or local Lenovo partner to check your machine.

Lenovo machines have the "Hardware Maintenance Manual" and the "FRU" list when you can find out each part and ask to the local deal the price of the part.

- Lenovo H50 Series Hardware Maintenance Manual

...chapter 9 list all the FRUs (Part numbers)

Check with the Lenovo support if it will be expensive or not to fix it.

Visit https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/ and open a ticket and see if it works out.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Miguel_92
Paper Tape
Views: 1,316
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for the help. I'm going to take it back to the shop where i got it from originally, as they will supposedly tell me what the problem is for free. Also, i have been told twice now that Lenovo parts cost a fortune, but i'll have to see what the shop says and then i'll call Lenovo. Because i do not believe it should have broken so rapidly after not being worked very hard lol.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors