Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogerSC
Punch Card
Views: 1,150
Message 1 of 3

Problem with booting Linux Mint 18 on K450e computer after install

I have an IdeaCentre K450e computer that came with Windows set up for UEFI boot. I just did a full install of Linux Mint 18 on a second disk with the Windows disk unplugged, and when I rebooted (with the windows disk still disconnected) , I get "No OS found". So I looked around a bit, and found the boot-repair-disk thing. It was suggested that if I was using UEFI boot that I should put the boot-repair-disk iso on a live USB key. So I made a bootable USB key with unetbootin and the repair-boot-disk iso. I also had tried rufus first, but that had "Create a bootable disk using" stippled out for some reason, so I couldn't use that. At any rate, when I tried to boot from the USB key, again "No OS found".

I'd really like to use Linux Mint 18, but it looks like I'm not going to be able to boot it, or fix whatever's broken about the boot at this point.

Has anyone been successful at installing Linux Mint on the K450e? What did you do to get it to boot? I haven't been able to get anything to boot yet on this computer, other than Windows.

And any advice on how to make a bootable boot-repair-disk live usb key to fix this? Or any other way that I can fix it? I've been trying both legacy and UEFI booting every time I try to boot with either my Linux Mint install or the boot-repair-disk USB key. This has me mystified...Looks like the only way that I'm going to be able to run Linux is to run Windows and use a Linux VM, not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help.

RogerSC
Punch Card
Views: 1,133
Message 2 of 3

Re: Problem with booting Linux Mint 18 on K450e computer after install

Okay, well, as far as I can tell, as long as you abandon UEFI boot mode, Linux will boot. Lenovo BIOS boot firmware seems to depend on seeing "Windows Boot Manager" in the EFI boot name space...which is not put there by a Linux installation, of course. I did get a live USB key for Linux Mint 18 to boot in UEFI mode (not sure how), but nothing could get either the "boot repair disk" or a new installation of Linux Mint 18 to boot in UEFI mode on the K450e.

So I installed in the BIOS "Legacy Only" boot mode, and boot in that mode and that works fine. I'm kind of bummed that Lenovo seems to want to make only Windows work in UEFI boot mode, but I don't have any control over that. Unless Lenovo chooses to make Linux compatible UEFI boot firmware available to their users. There was some speculation that some of Lenovo's firnware also looked for/allowed a Redhat Boot Manager in the EFI boot name space, but I'm not using Redhat so didn't verify that one.

So it goes. Switching between Windows and Linux is a little bizarre because of this, having to into the BIOS and switch from "Legacy Only" to UEFI boot modes, but I can at least do it. Not happy about this, probably would not have bought this computer had I known that Lenovo was making this decision for me.

RogerSC
Punch Card
Views: 1,130
Message 3 of 3

Re: Problem with booting Linux Mint 18 on K450e computer after install

Oh yeah, one more thing, I was not able to get a linux mint live USB key to boot in legacy mode (I used rufus to make them, worked well), so had to install from a DVD. Just a tip. You can waste the time that it takes to make a nice, fast live USB 3.0 key that you can install from making and installing from a slow DVD. If you get it right the first time, the DVD install doesn't take that long, anyways, I guess *smile*.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors