cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enook
Paper Tape
Views: 465
Message 1 of 4

Q190 harddrive fail, how to retrieve win8 key to restore ??

i have a Q190 for 12 months, the harddrive fail last week.  right after the warranty expired oct 25. 

i install a new harddrive in it.

i have usb key with win10 on it, as if i have to install window, better go with win10.  

Now i need the window 8 key to install, as it doesnt have a label with win key anymore.

on the menu it said win8 key is in BIOS, i couldnt find it.

any help ??

thanks

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 441
Message 2 of 4

Re: Q190 harddrive fail, how to retrieve win8 key to restore ??

hi enook,

Welcome to the Forums.

If you have a Windows 10 product key then you can install Windows 10 right away and use the product key to activate it.

However, if you don't have a Win10 product key and you're planning to upgrade using the WIn8.1 key to Windows 10, you should:

1. Follow this guide on how to download a Win8.1 ISO (see Option 1) then check this guide on how to create a bootable Win9.1 USB flashdrive.

2. Reinstall Windows on the Q190 using the bootable flashdrive that you've created on Step 1 (the installer should automatically detect the Win8 product key in the BIOS and will automatically activate Windows).

In case you get issues activating the OS, you should activate by phone.

3. Insert your Win10 USB flashdrive (or copy the contents into the Q180) and navigate to X:\Sources\Setup.exe (this is the path of the Win10 installation files) and follow the prompts to upgrade Windows 10.

Note:

• You can find the Win8.1 product using tools discussed in this article.
  • You can only activate Win10 if you have upgraded from an activated copy of Win8.1 or if you have a retail Win10 product key.

Edit:

added links:

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

enook
Paper Tape
Views: 418
Message 3 of 4

hi neokenchi

thanks so much for the detail info.

i was able to download the win8, installed, had some hard time to locate all drivers, got stuck with the Wifi as it didnt work with the driver from lenovo site ... funny.

anyway, after go thru this forum, i was able to download a replacement file, installed and it works.

updated the win8.1

now i am on the last step to install win10.

i boot with win10 usb and i was on a page asking for my win10 key ... which i thought it will locate itself ... means i have to type it in ... where i can locate it ??

looks like i need 1 more help from you ...

thanks in advance ... you guys are so helpful

enook

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 408
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

A couple of things that may help:  make sure you've downloaded the version of Windows 10 that matches your Win 8 install - STD or Pro.

Run the update from within the running 8.1 install.  Boot up 8.1 and execute setup.exe on the flash drive.  That should update without asking for a key.  The activation status will be saved by the Microsoft servers and if you then want to boot from the '10 flash drive and do a clean install that should activate automatically too.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors