Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-19-2008

earth

3 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 1 of 5

Reformat

2008-05-19, 12:43 PM
This is probably an obvious question to most people, but how do I use the recovery disks.  I made the disks, but I don't know how to use them.  I want to wipe everything from my computer.  I did the return and recovery system, but I ended up with a computer that is worse than before.  I tried putting it in the computer while restarting, I tried looking in the disk for a "start reformt" or something to that effec, but I could not find out how to reformat.  I'm sure it's very simple, as reformating usually is with computers, I just need to know how to actually do it.
Options

124 Posts

03-25-2008

Citrus Heights, California

64 Signins

1858 Page Views

• Views: 1858
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Reformat

2008-05-19, 16:25 PM
MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP ALL YOUR FILES FIRST BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS PROCESS AS RECOVERY TOTALLY DELETES ALL OF YOUR FILES PERMANENTLY!

Im assuming you labled your disks. Have disc one handy. Reboot your computer. On the lenovo logo screen, I think you press F12 to display a boot menu. Once this menu appears, Insert Disc one of your recovery set.  Let it spin up for a few seconds and then choose your cd or dvd drive its in, and it will boot from the disc you created. Make sure to follow the directions. Keep inserting the appropriate discs as they ask for them in order. Once its scanned all the discs, the recovery process begins. Get a bag of popcorn or lots of coffee handy cuz its going to take awhile.

Note: Not all computers will have a supplemental recovery disc with the machine. If this does not apply to you when it asks you for one, just say NO and it will continue as normal
Proud supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club
Options

3 Posts

05-16-2008

In the swamps of Louisiana

4 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 3 of 5

2008-05-19, 17:03 PM
I don't know exactly what you're trying to do... but if you "want to wipe everything from my computer," might I suggest Darik's Boot and Nuke? (http://dban.sourceforge.net/)

That is by far the best wiping tool that I have ever used. Not to mention that it's free and opensource (which makes it turboawesome, hehe). If you don't need, or can't understand (I'm not trying to patronize you by the way, some people will just find it too complicated :) ), something as powerful as DBAN - grab yourself a copy of Windows XP or the recovery/system restore disk that came with your computer and boot it up. This should work as well (although not as well as DBAN for disk wiping).

EDIT: Oh, and back stuff up like Jason said. There's nothing like screwing your computer up permanently, haha.

Message Edited by BroCam on 05-19-2008 10:04 AM
http://www.slackware.com/index.html

Try it. It is good.
Options

3 Posts

05-19-2008

earth

3 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-05-19, 18:35 PM
I used to have a Dell.  It came with disks to restore the computer back to how it was when I bought it.  I just want to do this.  I used the restore and recovery system, but it isn't working well.  The computer is still slow, and sounds like it's running a million programs at once, but I'm not doing anything.  I made the reformat disks, and I hear that once I use the disks, the computer will be the same as I bought it, except I won't be able to make the disks again.  This is basically what I want to do.  I make the assumption that with the 2 disks I made I can get the computer in perfect working order again.  The only files I need to backup (which I did on an external drive) were my personal files that I made with, for example, word. 
Options

134 Posts

12-23-2007

San Francisco,California

463 Signins

4498 Page Views

• Views: 4498
  • Message 5 of 5

2008-05-19, 20:43 PM
Which model is this? K100 or J series?  Read the other post that I have on reformating the drive. You will see that in the K100's we have a hidden partition (or use to be C:) after reformating. On the K100 you can access the recovery in Bios screen by pressing the red ring on the Keyboard. (LVT ring upper right of keyboard)

Actually if you reinstall windows over a bad copy or the original windows is bad , Windows will only reinstall the os MOST of all your Docs are backed up and saved onto the new copy of Windows.   I have reformated my XP Pro over 15 times ( I got a little experience on that)  Hope that helps.
Lenovo 3000K100 Intel Core2 Quad Vista Home Premium BFG 8800GT-OC 512MB PCIe 500GB SATA HD 4GB PC-5300 DDR2 DVD +/- RW DL x2 SATA Creative X-FI Pro + Mods
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms