Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HorusLee
Paper Tape
Views: 303
Message 1 of 3

Reinstalling Windows on Lenovo K450e

Hello,

I have a desktop computer K450e (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/lenovo/k-series/k450e/) that purchased about 4 years ago. The machine came with preinstalled Windows 8.1, but I had formatted it and installed Ubuntu operating system. To date, I have used Ubuntu on my machine.

Now, I want to go back to Windows. However, I just realized that I have no disc or media to reinstall Windows 8.1 on my machine.

Could you please let me know how I can do that? If it is possible, can I still upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 for free?

Thank you.

Regards,

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 277
Message 2 of 3

Re: Reinstalling Windows on Lenovo K450e

Getting the installation media for Windows 8.1 or 10 is not a problem, you can create the installation media for free from Microsoft here.     The windows 8.1 product key should be stored in the BIOS, so Windows 8.1 should detect it and fill it in during the Installation, while on Windows 10 you just select "skip" at the product key entry screen, and Windows 10 will activate automatically upon completion.    

Note:    The official free upgrade from 8.1 to 10 period is officially over, but I have read posts from others in this forum stating that Windows 10 will activate with 8.1 keys, so it is certainly worth the try. 

BTW  - If you still want to run Ubuntu, consider running it in a virutal maching within Windows 10 using Oracle's free Virtual Box software.    It is nice to 16GB of RAM or more of RAM on the system, but you can use it to create VM's of older versions of Windows, MacOS, Linux and even Android flavors, and they can all access your system sound, network and Wifi etc... pretty cool really. 

Create installation media for Widows 7, 8.1 or 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

Cheers,

HorusLee
Paper Tape
Views: 273
Message 3 of 3

Re: Reinstalling Windows on Lenovo K450e

Thank you so much for your answers!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors