01-31-2019

US

1 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 1 of 4

Ryzen 7 (AMD) - No Integrated Graphics

2019-01-31, 22:24 PM

The AMD Ryzen R7 processor, (models 2700/2700u and 2700X), does not have integrated graphics.  That means any graphics ports on the motherboard will not work.  (The Ryzen R3 and R5 do have integrated graphics, and the graphics ports on the MB will work on computers wiht those CPUs).

SYMPTOMS:

I purchased a Lenovo 720 with an AMD Ryzen 7 CPU.  For years -- decades really -- I have only purchased Lenovo/IBM with Intel processors.  But with 8 cores, 16 threads, the performance stats, and the price, I simply could not pass up this machine!  I got it home, plugged in a VGA cord to a small monitor to setup the machine, turned it on, and nothing displayed on the monitor.  The machine came with an AMD Radeon 560 with 4GB onboard -- which is plenty GPU for me, given that I am not a gamer -- and those ports, (DVI, HDMI, and DP), worked just fine.  But it bugged me that the "built-in" VGA port did not work.  So I investigated.  I could not find any device, driver, service, or graphics adapter other than the AMD Radeon graphics card.  (Usually there will at least be the integrated graphics adapter in the devices/drivers panel).  So I went to BIOS.  In BIOS, there is an option to select the "Preferred Graphics" driver, but the option was not selectable -- it only referenced the graphics card, and did not populate any other option.

SOLUTION:

A little more digging, and I learned that the Ryzen R7 processor DOES NOT include an integrated graphics processor.  (The R3 and R5 do include integrated graphics processors, so they will not have this issue).  Thus, there is no problem, error, or malfunction.  By design, the display ports that are comopnents of the motherboard will not work if the CPU is a Ryzen RZ -- they are essentially connected to nothing.

IS IT A SHORTFALL?

The AMD Ryzen R7 is a very respectable powerhouse, with 8 cores and 16 threads.  With its power, you're probably purchasing it for gaming or intensive processing such as CAD or VR -- in which case you will want and need discrete graphics processors -- or like me, you're doing heavy data lifting and crunching -- in which case you really don't care much about a strong GPU, and like me, you're happy as a lark to have even a less-than-monster discrete graphics card so that integrated graphics processing is not diverting resources from the powerhouse CPU and RAM you'd prefer to be devoted to getting work done.  All in all, I'm very satisfied with my AMD Ryzen 7 powered Lenovo 720, and for the price, I still feel like I got an incredibly good deal.

The only thing that troubles me is that should something go wrong with the graphics card, I will need to purchase another one to continue my work or even to troubleshoot.  But "bad graphics card components" is something that used to happen more frequently back in the 80s & 90s, or with you gamers today who push everything to the limits and keep the rest of us on our toes.  If it shaved $100 off the price, I am quite satisfied to have the monster processor without the integrated GPU option.

Hope this is helpful to others who might be scratching your heads.

Solved! See the solution
Options

4104 Posts

01-01-2012

US

7944 Signins

119713 Page Views

• Views: 119713
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Ryzen 7 (AMD) - No Integrated Graphics

2019-02-02, 14:24 PM

Marking this thread as Solved. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

05-18-2019

US

3 Signins

73 Page Views

• Views: 73
  • Message 3 of 4

new to game how to ask question where to ask question

2019-05-18, 20:33 PM

new to game where to ask question and how to ask

Options

619 Posts

08-02-2018

US

302 Signins

2148 Page Views

• Views: 2148
  • Message 4 of 4

Re: new to game how to ask question where to ask question

2019-05-18, 22:35 PM

Hi bad3!

Welcome to the Community,

If your concern is not related to the topic in this discussion where you posted, you can follow the guide in the link below on how to start a new discussion in the community,

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Housekeeping-Knowledge/How-do-I-start-a-new-post/ta-p/691539

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete