cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrokenHalo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,546
Message 1 of 2

SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC/MS/MS Pro card-reader slot not showing up in windows explorer.

I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre, purchased only four weeks ago.  It product family is IdeaCentre k410, machine type 10089.  Anyhow, the problem is: I inserted a microSD / microSDHC, both of which seem to fit into the slot fine, though neither registers under anywhere in windows explorer, neither in the root of C://, nor in any of the subdirectories, or on the main listing of mounted file systems.  I used the Lenovo Driver Updater and re-installed the SD Card Reader driver, to no avail.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.  As well, the computer runs Windows 8, which has some features I'm unhappy with, and although this is not a windows forum and I don't mean to create a thread that deviates from lenovo-specific topics, I was wondering if there is anything in either the machine architecture or the software of Windows 8 that could hinder m in installing a dual-boot system so that I might have the option of running a variant of linux as a sub-operating system, as I did with windows XP.?????  OK any help at all would be so greatly appreciated, thank in advance.  I really want to be able to retrieve some writing files I have stored in that micro SDHC card.  As another aside, does anyone know the max limit of RAM this computer can take and if it is DDR or some other type?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,528
Message 2 of 2

Re: SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC/MS/MS Pro card-reader slot not showing up in windows explorer.

hi BrokenHalo,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Regarding your questions:

1. When you inserted the SD card, do you hear a sound that a device is inserted and under Device Manger, do you see a Card Reader?

If not, try to:

a. boot intto the BIOS by pressing F1, load defaults by pressing F9 then press F10 to save and exit BIOS.

b. Reseat the front panel connectors (see page 23 of the hardware maintenance manual)

2. To install linux (i.e. Ubuntu), see if you can install Ubuntu via UEFI. If you're unable to do so or if you want to install other OS, try to:

a. Boot into the BIOS by pressing F2 and set the following settings below 

UEFI Boot Mode = Legacy

Secure Boot = Disabled  (if applicable)

CSM = Disabled /  Legacy or Other OS (if applicable)

OS Optimized Default = Disabled or Legacy (if applicable)

b. When finished, press F10 to save and exit BIOS then try to install Ubuntu via Wubi or insert your Windows installation disc to install a different OS.

3. As per this pdf data sheet, the Lenovo K410 has a max RAM of 8GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3  but Crucial reports that this unit can take up to 16GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 - check this site.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors