Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

05-13-2008

Midwest

6 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 1 of 6

Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio Issues

2008-05-13, 4:21 AM
Please be patient as this is my first time using the forum but I am desperate.  I bought a "brand new" Lenovo Desktop 3000 K100 desktop computer and the sound does not work.  Everything else seems to be fine.  I called Tech Support and this is what has been done so far:

1.  They checked the sound settings on the PC which were turned all the way up.
2.  We checked Device Manager to be sure that the audio shows that it is working and it says that it is.
3.  They had me uninstall the driver and reinstall it from the driver CD that came with the computer.  We then tried the driver from Windows for the audio which did not work.
4.  They had me do a One-Key Recovery on the C: drive back to factory defaults and that didn't work.
5.  They felt that the motherboard was bad so a technician showed up today with a new motherboard which after installing would not even go into Windows.  It just kept rebooting so now Tech Support is sending a new motherboard.  He called support and they told him to go through One-Key Recovery again which we knew would not solve the problem but we did it anyway.  He installed the original motherboard back into the computer because it at least worked but with no sound. 

Now, I need someone's opinion on what I've noticed about the sound.  The internet is full of problems with the Soundmax not working with Vista.  If I turn down every noise in the room I can hear the sound very faintly even though it set to the maximum.  I put the speakers back on my old PC which is an HP and they work fine so I know that it isn't the speakers.

My biggest fear is that the technician will show up with a new motherboard and it will still not work.  It seems that if it was the sound on the motherboard I wouldn't hear anything.  The fact that I hear something even though it is very low seems to me that it may not be the sound on the motherboard.  Maybe you can shed some light on what you think could be the problem.

I'm frustrated since this is a new computer and I don't think Tech Support has a clue on how to fix these machines.  Any help would be appreciated. 
Options

134 Posts

12-23-2007

San Francisco,California

463 Signins

4498 Page Views

• Views: 4498
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio Issues

2008-05-13, 4:47 AM
Hello Midwest User

Well it's covered by Lenovo so I say let them deal with it. The K100 is pretty darn good even with the problems. The sound thing sounds like a connection problem IMHO. 

Hopefully you got your machine under $700 the going price...
Lenovo 3000K100 Intel Core2 Quad Vista Home Premium BFG 8800GT-OC 512MB PCIe 500GB SATA HD 4GB PC-5300 DDR2 DVD +/- RW DL x2 SATA Creative X-FI Pro + Mods
Options

5 Posts

05-13-2008

Midwest

6 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 3 of 6

2008-05-13, 13:35 PM
Yes, we bought it for a little over $500.  Is the IMHO connection on the motherboard?  If so I guess the new motherboard might fix it.
Options

134 Posts

12-23-2007

San Francisco,California

463 Signins

4498 Page Views

• Views: 4498
  • Message 4 of 6

2008-05-13, 16:19 PM
Overall the desktop is a great price that you got it for so I'd wait to see if the new motherboard covers it. Electronics do go bad but hey it's their dime to fix it and usually the tech support is quick about it...   you can also read the other post on upgrades while you wait... :smileywink:
Lenovo 3000K100 Intel Core2 Quad Vista Home Premium BFG 8800GT-OC 512MB PCIe 500GB SATA HD 4GB PC-5300 DDR2 DVD +/- RW DL x2 SATA Creative X-FI Pro + Mods
Options

124 Posts

03-25-2008

Citrus Heights, California

64 Signins

1858 Page Views

• Views: 1858
  • Message 5 of 6

2008-05-17, 16:34 PM
To be honest here, I personally dont like SoundMax audio on Vista either as their volume is pretty low when watching a DVD Movie using Vista or watching TV. I solved this issue by buying an inexpensive CMedia 8738 Sound Card and it works 100% with Vista with NO  Crashes. Shouldnt set you back more then $10 to $12 after shipping on Newegg.

(The drivers have to be obtained from Windows Update however)
Proud supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club
Options

2 Posts

05-22-2008

canada

4 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 6 of 6

2008-05-22, 22:02 PM
hi:

I was in the same situation as yours. However, I changed my old speakers which were having the same problem, very faint sound. After I changed the speakers with the other pair (which were lying around in the house), sound seems to be much better though not as I would love to..also i tried using the head phones and they were working fine..tech support is not much of the help..perhaps they should be forced to view the boards regularly...

good luck and reply

andy
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms