10-25-2018

US

20 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 1 of 2

Suggestions on Driver Backups?

2019-03-07, 2:58 AM

Just wondering if anyone out there has a good or at least better backup process for device drivers.

I have tried using the driver backup feature included in many driver update tools but they're often unreliable and I end up having to manually hunt for device drivers all over again. Here are some of the tools that I use or have used:

(Before doing a backup)

Device Cleanup Tool

Driver Store Explorer

Driver Genius

I have found all of these to have unreliable backups:

Glary Utilities

Driver Genius

Drivermax

iobit driver booster

There's probably others too but I can't remember at the moment. As far as the Lenovo utilities available, they're not a complete solution.

Options

3830 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4365 Signins

49222 Page Views

• Views: 49222
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Suggestions on Driver Backups?

2019-03-07, 4:57 AM

I have never really had the need to use a driver backup, but a tool called Double Driver does a pretty good job.     Download the .zip file from the link below, extract the files to a folder, and then run DD.exe to launch the UI, or DDC.exe to launch the command line version.

Double Driver 4.10

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/double_driver.html

Another way to do so natively in Windows 10 is to use the Windows Power Shell commandline, but restoring is not as easy.

How to Export Windows Device Drivers

• Click Start and in the search windows type: PowerShell   
  • Right-click on the Windows Power Shell search result and select Run as Administrator
  • Create a new folder where you want to store the driver backup (in this example that is C:\DriverBackup)
  • Type in, or cut and paste, the following command into the PowerShell window and press Enter

Export-WindowsDriver -Online -Destination C:\DriverBackup >C:\DriverBackup\driverlist.txt

Note:    The path can of course be changed, as can the path and filename of the driverlist.txt file.    The Driverlist.txt is just the output returned upon the completion of the export command piped to a .txt file, which is useful as it provides a clue as to what rather cryptic exported driver relates to what device.

Cheers,

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete