US

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 2

Brand New T540 Desktop - Clicking Noises

2020-06-12, 4:51 AM

Hi everyone,

New to the community here, bought my first Lenovo today, brand new IdeaCentre T540 Gaming Desktop.

Generally things are fine so far, but getting some persistent scratching/clicking noises coming from the area around the CPU and SSD. I figured it might be the fans, but stopped them each briefly and the sound persisted just the same. Almost sounds like a traditional HDD working hard as it becomes louder with more activity/load, but this system only has a single Toshiba XG6 512GB SSD. Sometimes depending on activity level, the clicking will elevate to a short screech which kinda scares me. Not pushing the system hard at all, maybe 5-15% CPU usage with a few browser windows. Any ideas on what the source/resolution could be?

Attaching a couple YouTube links of the clicking and other noises. It's a little tough to hear when recorded, but I've found that the sound comes through much clearer watching on my phone or with headphones vs something like surround sound speakers.

Options

1015 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

122 Signins

5651 Page Views

• Views: 5651
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Brand New T540 Desktop - Clicking Noises

2020-06-12, 11:54 AM

Hello there and Welcome to the Community Forums.

On the last video it does sounds like the screeching noise is coming from something coming in contact with whatever it is (most likely HDD, from the clicking noise).

It is hard to conclude when I do not personally have my hands on it, but at first sound, it does sound like something a HDD would make, how to resolve is difficult again since I can not dig my hands into it myself, but I would wager it is a hardware fault that requires the disk to be replaced.

Please let me know how it works out and if you manage to solve it.

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete