Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZenJen119
What's DOS?
Views: 1,672
Message 1 of 4

The USB Ports *SUDDENLY* Stopped Working in my Desktop H520. PLEASE Help! :(

All the USB Ports were working just fine (two still are, the one with this keyboard and mouse plugged into it.. but I haven't UNPLUGGED them since this problem started so I'm NOT going to do that now, JUST IN CASE, those ports stop working too and then I have absolutely NO ACCESS to my computer at that point. ) and everything was how it normally was.  I had just plugged in a flash drive and removed data from that drive, unplugged it thru the eject button and I also had an external drive plugged in later and it worked and ejected just fine) and then OUT OF NOWHERE now it the USB ports REFUSE to work!

I'll plug in the device, I'll hear the NOISE on the computer that lets you know it's plugged in but then NOTHING happens and it does NOT get recognized in the My Computer/Devices folder!  I have tried ALL the available ports and NONE of them work!  I tried my devices on another computer and they work perfectly fine.  It's THIS computer!  And it's only a year and half old!!! And I bought it BRAND NEW! Smiley Sad 

I NEED THESE PORTS TO WORK!!  It is how I TRANSFER my Family's Pictures from the camera and then I BACK THEM UP on an EXTERNAL DRIVE.  I was just about to DO THAT when everything went wonky.  Smiley Sad  This computer is like the HEART of the media for our Family and I can't have this happening!  Smiley Sad  I'm sooo UPSET right now! Smiley Sad

I have restarted and rebooted and I have even unplugged the power source from the PC for multiple minutes and it STILL did not help.  I even left the computer OFF for over 9 hours and STILL it REFUSES to recognize anything put into the USB ports EXCEPT the Keyboard and Mouse which were ALREADY PLUGGED in when this problem started!  So I am NOT unplugging them in case that makes them STOP WORKING, too!  Smiley Sad

PLEASE oh PLEASE tell me there is a solution to this problem and that *Somebody* Awesome knows how to FIX this and walk me through it.  PLEASE?!?!

I'm not very computer smart but I can follow directions VERY well!!  Smiley Happy  So if there's anything you can do, PLEASE let me know ASAP!!  It's holding up EVERYTHING right now.  Smiley Sad  I would appreciate it SO MUCH if *Somebody* will help me figure out this problem. Smiley Happy  There is NOTHING on the internet to help me fix this.  I tried.

Again, thank YOU for listening and I truly HOPE Somebody will be able to help! Smiley Happy

Have a FANTASTERRIFIC Day Today!! Smiley Very Happy

Sincerely,

Jen

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy

I have a Lenovo H520
System Model 10094
64-bit Operating System
x64-based Processor
Windows_ 8.1 _ 64 Bit
Intel Core i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz
8.00 GB Installed Ram (7.89 GB usable)

Moderator comment: Post font color and size normalized.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,663
Message 2 of 4

Re: The USB Ports *SUDDENLY* Stopped Working in my Desktop H520. PLEASE Help! :(

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

I am assuming that the two USB ports that are working are on the back of the computer.  That the two other back ones along with the front ones are not working.  Possibly there is a conflict with the hardware information stored in the CMOS which is preventing all the USB ports from working.  I would suggest you try clearing the CMOS to see if that will correct the problem you are having.  On page #26 of your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual show the location of the coin cell CMOS battery.  The battery's socket will either have a little tab to eject the battery or a slot in which you can use a small screw driver to lightly pry up the edge the battery.  With the machine unplugged remove the battery and press the power button for 15 seconds.  Then reinstall the battery, plug and then boot up the computer to see if the problem is resolved.  It is normal after clearing the CMOS to have to enter the time & date when the computer is booted  up.

The link below is for your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual. When working inside your system please follow all precautions and recommendations that are noted in the manual.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/lenovo_h505-520-535_hmm_20130419.pdf

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

kanduganesh
What's DOS?
Views: 1,122
Message 3 of 4

Re: The USB Ports *SUDDENLY* Stopped Working in my Desktop H520. PLEASE Help! :(

I am also gettting same problem with my lenovo s520 only one port is working of front and other are not working please suggest :-)

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,117
Message 4 of 4

Welcome to the Lenovo Community kanduganesh !

I assume you have the Lenovo H520 desktop model?  The S520 is a Smartphone.

From what you have described only one of the two front USB ports are working and none of the USB ports on the rear are working.  If that is correct, have you tried clearing the CMOS as explained in my earlier post?

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors