GB

14 Signins

97 Page Views

• Views: 97
  • Message 1 of 8

Upgraded H520s pauses for a minute before booting

2018-11-10, 20:22 PM

Hi Lenova People

SO - I'm having knightmares with a H520s that I've upgraded. It was working fine. Now it works fine but (a) won't let you into the BIOS from cold start (only from a reset from Windows 10) and (b) takes a really long time (screen black) before deciding to find the boot drive and starting up.

Context - Before disaster struck today I had a perfectly working stystem - H520s with GTX 1060 6b and RM550x power supply plus 120gb SSD boot drive with Windows 10. It had taken me a while to get the system via BIOS settings to recognise the boot system after installing it.  Changing the drives to IDE mode seemed to do the trick.

Then I tried to connect an 1Tb HD which also had a Windows boot system on it. Stupid move. The system got confused on start up saying it couldn't find an operating system and then started to try and repair things. I pulled the power on the system worried it was going to make things not work, and thought I'd just unplug the HD and all would be fine. But no. Instead the system now seems to hang for a long time like it's searching for another boot device / network / whatever, and then finally goes to find the SSD and boots perfectly happily. And will restart fine.

But if you shut down and start from cold, it's that super long wait again (with pressing F12 to get to BIOS not working)

Pulling my hair out trying to work out why. The SSD is first in the boot order. There's no network boot set up.

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

Options

235 Posts

08-02-2018

PH

91 Signins

571 Page Views

• Views: 571
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Upgraded H520s pauses for a minute before booting

2018-11-11, 4:41 AM

Hi Exhausteddboy,

Welcome to the Community Forums. 

Have you tried booting with only the SSD installed on the computer? Try to reset the BIOS settings by Loading Optimized Default and check again if it will boot properly with only the SSD on it.

Also, have you already reformatted the other hard drive so that the computer won't be confuse as to which it will boot? 

Let us know so we can further check.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

11-10-2018

GB

14 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2018-11-11, 18:47 PM

Hi JanGab

Yes only the SSD is installed (HD I took the power and SATA cable out)

Since my initial message things have got worse in the sense that I can't get into the BIOS at all. I wonder if this is to do with putting the GTX 1060 back in? Before I could restart from Windows 10 and during the restart F12 would get me into the BIOS.

I half wonder if the power supply has got damaged somehow and it's not supplying enough  power at switch on, then eventually kicks in and everthing is ok?

What's odd is that the lenova logo does not appear at any time. The screen is black on start up (no beeps, not that it ever did) and then the monitor shows it's suddenly got an HDMI signal and then it boots within 2 or 3 seconds.

Is there a way to reset the BIOS with jumper settings on the board?

Thanks.

Options

296 Posts

08-02-2018

PH

243 Signins

957 Page Views

• Views: 957
  • Message 4 of 8

2018-11-11, 20:52 PM

Could you try first if the motherboard is not fried? Just return the original parts and remove any upgrades. See if the computer works correctly. If all things work correctly on the original parts. Try to 1 by 1 put the upgrades that you have to identify where the issue is coming from.

Regards,

Matt_lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

11-10-2018

GB

14 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2018-11-11, 21:25 PM

Hi Matt

I'll take out the graphics card and try the old PSU and see what happens.

More when I know more.

Thanks.

Options

5 Posts

11-10-2018

GB

14 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2018-11-12, 13:14 PM

Hi Matt -

Ok, as suggested I take out the new PSU and the GFX, plug in the old PSU.

Switch on (with SSD set up as boot device), and it won't start up. Or rather it tries to power on, then powers down, then powers up... a loop.

Next, I switch to using the original HD as boot device (disconnecting the SSD), and straight away the Lenova logo appears, it looks like it's booting then goes to the error screen saying the PC had trouble booting last time (error being unable to find boot deivce) and it'll restart for me. Which it does, then offers to restart or go to advanced options. I pick the options and go to repair start up... it takes 20mins or so saying trying to repair. Then finishes by saying it can't repair.

So then I restart.... and nothing. No lenovo logo, no ability to boot to get into BIOS.

Then I switch back to the SSD to see if it repeats the looping behaviour. And it doesn't. It just powers on like with the HD, ad stays on, not booting, not showing logo.

At this point the system seems dead - even though  once you could get it to boot, everything seemed fine...

Can I try anything else?

Thanks.

Options

5 Posts

11-10-2018

GB

14 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2018-11-13, 11:48 AM

No ideas? 

My last thought is if the board had any reset jumpers in case it's something with the BIOS settings I have somehow put into the wrong configure.

Picture with two possibilities. The repair manuals for the board don't have any pin-out specifics.

Thanks again for any suggestions. Otherwise time to buy a new mb etc. 

Options

4297 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Views: 610511
  • Message 8 of 8

2018-11-13, 15:41 PM

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Exhausteddboy  !

From the image you have posted, the jumper pin out is documented on the motherboard.  It would appear that the jumper on both JP01 and JP02 have to the moved from pins 1 & 2 to pins 2 & 3 to clear the CMOS.  Once cleared, return the pins to their original locations. 

An alternative would be removing the motherboard's CMOS battery to do a hard reset of the CMOS.  That procedure should clear the CMOS and default all the BIOS Settings back to their factory values.

To do,  just unplug your system and open the case.  On the motherboard will be a round coin cell battery.  Remove this battery and then press the computer's power button for 15 seconds.  That will discharge any remaining electrical charge on the motherboard and clear the CMOS.  The battery's socket should have a little tab that when pressed it will eject the battery from the socket.  After doing this, replace the battery, plug in and see if your BIOS Settings are defaulted.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save