Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

195 Posts

04-15-2008

USA

971 Signins

5852 Page Views

• Views: 5852
  • Message 1 of 2

Upgrading Power Supply

2009-07-15, 12:17 PM

Hi, I am thinking about upgrading the Power Supply and possibly the Video Card adapter (which is integrated in the Intel MB) and noticed that Fry's has a Raidmax Volcano 630 Watt Modular Power Supply for $59 after rebate.

I understand that I am going about this backwards, that the Video Card requirements dictate the Power Supply requirements nevertheless, if I decide to upgrade the Video Card, I know that I am NOT going get one that requires >630 watt Power Supply and would appreciate your help.

First, the Lenovo provided Power Supply is 250 watts and I would like to know if it is possible (and not advisable) to have TOO BIG of a Power Supply?

Second, are their any benefits to upgrading the Power Supply and nothing else (i.e. if I decide NOT to upgrade the Video Card)?

My thoughts are the system will operate cooler and would appreciate your thoughts / advice?

Thanks,

Bob

Options

21 Posts

03-06-2009

texas

67 Signins

553 Page Views

• Views: 553
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Upgrading Power Supply

2009-07-29, 7:00 AM

there is nothing wrong with just upgrading to a better power supply only thing is it might use a little more energy

but it is a good idea to get a good power supply since the one it comes with is small and most vid cards will ask for more power

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms