Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TropicalGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,494
Message 1 of 7

Upgrading to a new graphics card

I just bought a lenovo3000, k100, and am happy with it except for intels gma, which sucks.:
XFX GeForce 9600 GT Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3618454&CatId=1826)

But i obviously need to upgrade the lame psu that comes with the k100, im planning on buying this psu:

Corsair VX450W 450-Watt Power Supply (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3287208&CatId=1078) so my questions are:

1. Is the video card compatible with the computer? Im almost sure it is, just checking.

2. Is the psu compatible? this is my real doubt, will it fit the lenovo? please answer this one?

3. Finally, ive been reading about the implications of changing the psu, what will stop working? The led light? will i still be able to switch between cool and turbo mode? if so how will I know on what mode i am?

thanks.

eng223
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,489
Message 2 of 7

Re: Upgrading to a new graphics card

Keep reading buddy, we have wrote a bunch on how to change out the PSU and install the Video card and the Dial Light problem.  IMHO I think 450w is too low and suggest 600w or more. I thought about the 9600 but for gamming the 8800 series beats hands down and it's around the same price now ($200) I will send pics of the light mod if needed but the parts are around $10 or less. Hope that helps.
Lenovo 3000K100 Intel Core2 Quad Vista Home Premium BFG 8800GT-OC 512MB PCIe 500GB SATA HD 4GB PC-5300 DDR2 DVD +/- RW DL x2 SATA Creative X-FI Pro + Mods
TropicalGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,485
Message 3 of 7

So i read some more, let me see if I got this straight.
If I change the psu wihout the special weird name cable, everything will work just fine except the led?  And, the psu will fi right?
thanks.
eng223
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,475
Message 4 of 7

OK lets take this one at a time... If you need more upgrades then you need a bigger PSU. Most PSUs should fit  if you are not sure just take the psu with you and ask if the new one is the same size.   OR... others have added a second add on PSU to the machine and it seems to work as well.    More mods/upgrades/components = needs more power,get a stronger PSU. If you are not sure of the size then bring the old one with you to compare parts.

The light mod is an easy less than $10 fix and I will share the pics with anyone that needs them. If you don't care for blinky light then don't connect the power to the light. The round knob will still work for the three different settings. Just no blinky light.

Hope this helps. if not read through the different post to see what a lot of us have done as far as upgrades.
Lenovo 3000K100 Intel Core2 Quad Vista Home Premium BFG 8800GT-OC 512MB PCIe 500GB SATA HD 4GB PC-5300 DDR2 DVD +/- RW DL x2 SATA Creative X-FI Pro + Mods
jasonhockeyguy
Punch Card
Views: 2,452
Message 5 of 7

Im using this :

In my Lenovo J200 desktop and it works fine.
Proud supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club
TropicalGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,437
Message 6 of 7

I finally got time to do some research, and this is what I've decided on:
and as a psu

So what do you think? And is  lenovo's motherboard pci 2.0 compliant? The gpu description says it still is compatible with existent pci express motherboards, so will it work on this one?

Finally is the video card I chose a significant downgrade from the one in the first post? I chose it because it requires a +12 volt of 22, so the psu can handle it, the first one requires a bit more...and it is cheaper! Thanks, this forum has been very helpful. Ill link to the lenovo model I bought just in case you need it::

Message Edited by TropicalGuy on 04-17-2008 10:24 PM
Quips88
Paper Tape
Views: 2,410
Message 7 of 7

I have the 3000 k100 quad core system. I thought is was insane for Lenovo to put such a small PSU in this PC. It's barely enough power to run the CPU.

I added another Power Supply:

This solved the problem of the missing Dial Light.

Now I have this powering just the video card:
This I have found is the optimum solution since everything is just plug and play.

I'm really not a big fan of Best Buy , but noone else had this Power supply and it was close by.

Bob

Moderator Note; just tidied a little

Message Edited by andyP on 04-18-2008 09:51 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors