Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

06-11-2018

Netherlands

21 Signins

124 Page Views

• Views: 124
  • Message 1 of 4

V520s SFF add extra SATA 6GB/s HDD: which model/type of data- and power-cable needs to be purchased?

2018-06-11, 13:49 PM

Lenovo describes that the V520s SFF Desktop can accept building in an extra 3.5 inch Hard Disk Drive. My V520s has a pre-built in 256GB SDD for Windows 10, so I want to internally install a second drive (large) for all my data etc.. But Lenovo uses a special power cord for extra internal drives, which is not present and also not displayed on Lenovo's website (part number?).
I bought a WD Blue HDD (1TB SATA III 7200 RPM) which also had no cables in the box.

I need some advice on the following unclarities:
Does anyone know the precise details of the 2 cables I need to buy [SATA data-cable and SATA power-cable (4 pin ?)], especially with regard to the connectors? I see inside my desktop that the SATA optical drive has a 4-pin connector with 2 live wires, but on the Internet I find 4-pin connectors with 3 live wires. What is the correct 4-pin to SATA power cable configuration for  a WD Blue 3.5' HDD?
Does anyone have a photograph of the inner workings of a V520s device with extra built in 3.5 inch HDD?

And where can the 2 correct cables be bought online? Where does Lenovo offer these accessories?
Do I need to purchase a special bracket for a 3.5 inch HDD? There seems not to be much space left inside the small desktop, so I guess I must use 4 screws directly without a plastic bracket.

Please include the technical details about the specific type/model of these necessary accessories, as I can not find any useful information on the Lenovo site. The 2 documents that Lenovo offers, do not describe nor display desired technical data in a useful way.

If there is no cable-solution for the WD Blue HDD, which Hard Disk Drive do you recommend that will fit properly inside the V520s with which cables (specification details)?

Hoping for positive answers.
Friendly regards, Simon

The Netherlands

Options

6 Posts

06-11-2018

Netherlands

21 Signins

124 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re: V520s SFF add extra SATA 6GB/s HDD: which model/type of data- and power-cable needs to be purcha

2018-06-20, 8:26 AM

Lenovo offers a desktop PC (V520s SFF) with the possibility to add extra internal devices, such as a Hard Disk Drive (they brag about this on their site).
Lenovo does not display any specific technical data (type / model / product number etc.) on its support-website, nor in relevant manuals.
Thus, it is very difficult to figure out which HDD can be used and especially which cable/connector for this 'slim' model PC is precisely the right one.
I found a cable/connector (Delock Cable SATA 6 Gb/s 7 Pin Socket + 4 Pin Power Connector > Slim SATA 13) and installed it.
I put the power cable with the connector clip in the right position. When the PC was turned on, the WD hard disk blew up!
Which party is wrong: the cable maker who may have had the 2 electric wires wrongly implemented, or Lenovo who does not abide to universal convention of using power cables?
It is very disappointing that Lenovo does not provide useful help, even though I got a 'ticket' at their support-site.
Their support was: an email with general information!

Options

6 Posts

06-11-2018

Netherlands

21 Signins

124 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

Re: V520s SFF add extra SATA 6GB/s HDD: which model/type of data- and power-cable needs to be purcha

2018-07-02, 7:55 AM

Lenovo Support (https://www.managedtechnicalsupportaccess.com/dashboard) is not giving any concrete technical solution.

Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

United States of America

9980 Signins

610541 Page Views

• Views: 610541
  • Message 4 of 4

2018-07-10, 12:40 PM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms