cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thhynes
What's DOS?
Views: 522
Message 1 of 5

Very Confused over Reinstall Discs, Recovery Discs and how do I CREATE THEM!

I am the owner of a Lenova IdeaCenter K300 Computer with Windows 7 64Bit OS
The system has been running for just about a year now...no issues, very stable...however after a recent issue with another computer MFG system...I have questions:

First the Other MFG system - The computer was purchased in April of 2008 with Windows Vista, the computer was unplugged on November 1, 2008 and stored in a cool Dry place....In October of 2011 My Godson wanted a new computer and I told him I have a computer that was lightly used and would do what he wanted it to do.

I plugged in a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and turned on the unit when MUCH to my surprise the HD had failed...BADLY...so I went to a local store, purchased a new HD and installed it on the machine. 

First let me explain that this computer MFG after several calls to them looking for help.. explained to me the following

1: Reinstall Discs were NOT avail
2: The System did not support creating Recovery discs since all the information that the system needed was stored on
    the Hard Drive that was supplied with the system...and that the OEM Windows VISTA version was available to use for

3 years

I said Okay, but I have a computer that had a HD failure so how do I go about reinstalling Windows Vista to get the computer up and running again?  They told me that I had to PURCHASE from a store a copy of Windows Vista.   I said that I had from two other computers from another MFG Windows Vista Reinstall Discs, can I use those, and use the Product Key code supplied by YOUR company to reintsall the OS?  They said NO...you need the orginal Hard Drive....I was like WHAT!

Needless to say you can imagine my EXTREME frustration over not being able to get the computer up and running again.  After several calls to the Presidents Office I was finally....after 6 weeks of battle able for a cost mind you of $19.99 to get physical DVD's to reintall Windows Vista onto the system - (they should arrive this week)

So now I am sitting in front of this LENOVA computer wondering ...Worse CaseScenerio...HD FAILURE...and lets face it it DOES HAPPEN.

so here are my questions

1: What is the difference between Recovery Disc and Reinstall Dics?

2: If this Lenova System can only Create Recovery Discs ...and the HD needs to be replaced will the Recovery discs reintsall Windows 7 on this system?

3: How do I create these discs...I found an option on Lenova Rescue System to create Recovery Discs but it was 24  4.5 GB DVD's to do this?  Windows Vista only needed 2

Am I missing something here can some one Please help me

thank you!

goodmayes
Token Ring
Views: 517
Message 2 of 5

Re: Very Confused over Reinstall Discs, Recovery Discs and how do I CREATE THEM!

They should sell you recovery disc without any problems. If you call customer service and you feel that the conversation is going no ware you probably talking to wrong person. Disconnect and tray another time, you will never speak to the same person twice

OEM reinstall disc doesn’t need activation, retail windows disc needs but you have serial number on the sticker so just call Microsoft and activate it.

Recovery disc is a copy of your computer hard drive with windows, drivers, software included

Reinstall disc is the same for all computers with windows only, you have to install drivers and software separately

Reinstall OEM disc is only for Lenovo system but it is the same like retail windows disc with added pre-activation

thhynes
What's DOS?
Views: 510
Message 3 of 5

Re: Very Confused over Reinstall Discs, Recovery Discs and how do I CREATE THEM!

I found another thread which was to download Lenovo One Key

There is an option for creating Recovery Discs (5 of them in total)
I am doing that now...

am I safe to believe that if the HD in the computer needs to be replaced that these 5 discs will get the OS back?

goodmayes
Token Ring
Views: 499
Message 4 of 5

No, one key recovery is only to recover deleted files, drivers, software, recover from virus and other problems.

New hdd needs new windows installation there is nothing to recover, its empty and that is why you need reinstallation disc

Toughbook
Blue Screen Again
Views: 484
Message 5 of 5

The discs that you have coming are all your going to need. They will be numbered from 1-3 or 4. Insert them in order, update the drivers after windows is up and running and you will be good to go! BTW, the CS person is cray for telling you to buy another copy of Windows. Simply insert the disc that is the same as your Microsft sticker on the side of your case, key in the code from the sticker during install and you would be fine. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors