cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Avanor_hc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,163
Message 1 of 11

What graphics card will my H520s power supply support (PSU, power calculator)

I have an enquiry relating to video cards. In order to do my job, I need to get a card with at least 512MB of VRAM, preferably 2GB. However, the ones I've found online use 300w 
What's the maximum watts that I can use with my Lenovo H520s? And what would happen if I used a 300w video card in it? 

Mod:  edited Subject with a problem description

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,101
Message 2 of 11

Re: Maximum power!

Use a power supply calculator to get a accurate calculation of your power requirements.   Graphics card manufacturers have to figure a worst case scenario when giving power requirements.

www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

Mod:  removed the Newegg calculator, which only gives a recommended psu size, rather than a power calculation.   The CoolerMaster gives both. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,093
Message 3 of 11

Further, I did a search of the PassMark system benchmarks, and found several H520s baselines with Gt 630 installed.  

The Gt 730 with DDR5 memory is the best all-round card for power, performance, value.   But can't say for certain it will work, as newer generation graphics, especially AMD, are not necessarily backward compatible with older Lenovo systems.   But I'm 90% certain if you're willing to give it a try (order from a place with a good exchange policy -- exchange for a Gt 630.)   Let us know if you do, and it works. 

Update:  I did find a H520s on a different user benchmark site with a Gt 730, however I have not run their benchmark myself, so I can not attest to it's veracity. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Avanor_hc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,046
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for your help. However, your suggested graphics cards also require 300w.

According to Lenovo, my machine can only handle 180w-240w (but won't specify which!)

After a bit of research, I have a feeling that H520s can only handle 180w... 

What would happen if I plugged a 300w video card into a machine that can only handle 180w?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,038
Message 5 of 11

According to Lenovo, my machine can only handle 180w-240w (but won't specify which!)

After a bit of research, I have a feeling that H520s can only handle 180w... 

Can you provide the Lenovo link of where it says it has a 180w supply?   The datasheet I see for it for Europe (H520s) shows that it can handle a Gt 640, which uses double the power of a Gt 730 DDR5 (a 25w card, about as low as it gets for a graphics card.)   Also, if you can provide the full model number of your system, that would be helpful in doing research for you.  

Avanor_hc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,022
Message 6 of 11

The specific model of Lenovo H520s I have is a 2561CTO.

With regards to the power, I found out by chatting to Lenovo Support. They didn't provide a link... but after googling, I think they are correct: it would appear I'm not the only person discovering the limitations of the machine.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,014
Message 7 of 11

The specific model of Lenovo H520s I have is a 2561CTO.

What I found researching this model number (2561 & 5730, 5731) is that systems with an i5 or i7 processor have the 240w, while i3 and below have a 180w (there is a 30w difference in the power requirements - 65w & 95w.)   An other model 4746 has 240w across the board.  CTO is for a custom sub-model, so I don't have details on which processor you have.  

Avanor_hc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,008
Message 8 of 11

I've got a i3-3240 processor, so that's 180w to play with. Not much! Am I right in thinking I'll need to replace the PSU in order to run a 300w video card? What would happen if I didn't?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,004
Message 9 of 11

Yes, there's no headroom, you'll need to replace the psu to run any graphics card. 

Avanor_hc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,001
Message 10 of 11

What would happen if I put a 300w video card in my 180w machine?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors