Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

03-02-2015

Great Britain

7 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 1 of 4

Where is the Windows 8.1 Key?

2015-08-03, 12:46 PM

Hi,

Some months ago, I upgraded my "ThinkCentre E73" to Windows 8.1 using the supplied disks. I now wish to do a clean install of Windows 10 from an ISO file but wonder if I will need the 'key'. If I do, where can I find it?

Thanks - Joe

Answer
Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4464 Signins

274777 Page Views

• Views: 274777

Re: Where is the Windows 8.1 Key?

2015-08-03, 15:06 PM

hi Joe,

You can find the Windows 8.1 product key by following this guide.

Take note though that before you can clean install a copy of Windows 10, you will need to upgrade your current Windows 9.1 installation to Windows 10 then activate it (this converts your Win8.1 key to a Windows 10 key and syncs your hardware ID and activation license to the microsoft servers).

Once you have an activated copy of Windows 10, you can clean install will be able to activate Windows 10.

You can read more here:

How to Activate and resolve common Product key issues in Windows 10

Windows 10 FAQs

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4464 Signins

274777 Page Views

• Views: 274777
  • Message 2 of 4

2015-08-03, 15:06 PM

hi Joe,

You can find the Windows 8.1 product key by following this guide.

Take note though that before you can clean install a copy of Windows 10, you will need to upgrade your current Windows 9.1 installation to Windows 10 then activate it (this converts your Win8.1 key to a Windows 10 key and syncs your hardware ID and activation license to the microsoft servers).

Once you have an activated copy of Windows 10, you can clean install will be able to activate Windows 10.

You can read more here:

How to Activate and resolve common Product key issues in Windows 10

Windows 10 FAQs

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

03-02-2015

Great Britain

7 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 3 of 4

2015-08-03, 16:24 PM

Neokenchi,

Thank you for the very informative reply although there is a lot to take in as far as obtaining the key is concerned. It is some months since I obtained my Lenovo from the supplier (CPC Farnell) and so I no longer have the paperwork. However, I will do as you suggest and wait for a MS download and then do the clean install later. I may be wrong but I prefer to install onto a 'blank' partition when I can as I have often forgotten just what I have loaded.

Cheers - Joe

Options

38 Posts

07-29-2015

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

79 Signins

462 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 462
  • Message 4 of 4

2015-08-06, 22:02 PM

My H50 came with Windows 8.1 and as soon as I got it going I was offered the chance to upgrade to Windows 10, which I did.

I followed the guide and downloaded most of the applications mentioned; 3 of them gave the same Produc Key but ProduKey gave a different Product Key.

Might it be that one key is for the originally installed Windows 8.1 and the other is for the upgrade to Windows 10?

If so, which key am I to belive if I ever have to do a clean install of Windows 10?

I'm more confused now...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms