12-15-2009

USA

41 Signins

433 Page Views

• Views: 433
  • Message 1 of 3

Windows 7

2010-03-05, 23:03 PM

Is there a way to clear the so called secret area that is stored on your computer. It has all previous information or certain information secretly stored there. I am about to go through a legal situation with my local township in Pa. Maybe there is software that I can purchase to do this. I do not want to reload my computer or completely clear my  disk. I have a Idea Centre Q700 10024---------- 30151AU with windows 7

Options

41 Posts

11-16-2009

New York

148 Signins

1011 Page Views

• Views: 1011
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Windows 7

2010-03-08, 18:57 PM

If you have a very serious concern, you should run, not walk to an experienced computer security consultant.  You can probably locate one through a good independent computer store that assembles computers for customers.  You also need to retain a lawyer ASAP and follow his/her advice.

There is no "secret" area on computer disks, but there are a number of areas that keep records of websites you've visited, files you've recently used, etc.  You can clear many of these by downloading a free copy of Ad-Aware from:

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

You don't need the Plus or Pro versions for a one-time cleanup.  This will clean up your machine enough so that a casual sweep won't find your web history or a record of deleted files.

Unfortunately, it is pretty simple for a professional with the right tools to retrieve deleted files, including deleted web histories.  A full reinstall or a disk wipe will slow them down, but there are ways to get around even those if the searcher is determined enough.  The only real safe method is to physically remove the hard drive and smash it to smithereens.  Hard drives aren't expensive, so you can pop another one into your computer and start from scratch.  

Again, if you are really concerned, you should be talking with a security consultant and a lawyer.  And the first thing the lawyer would say is to not post about it on open forums!

Options

3 Posts

12-15-2009

USA

41 Signins

433 Page Views

• Views: 433
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Windows 7

2010-03-24, 1:24 AM

Thank you for your very excellent response. I have not been in this sight for several days and I really respect and THANK YOU FOR YOUR VERY INFORMATIVE RSPONSE. I have benefited from your response. It was the first time I ever posted a question and I THANK you again for Your INSIGHT.

Moderator edit: Removed large quote of previous post.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms