Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

09-04-2009

Oviedo, FL

8 Signins

139 Page Views

• Views: 139
  • Message 1 of 5

Winload.exe is missing or corrupt

2009-09-04, 12:01 PM

I have a Lenovo 3000 K100. Suddenly we started getting the popular winload error.

When booting we get:

Windlows Boot Manager

Windlows failed to start

The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

I've copied the winload.exe from \windows\system32\boot to the windows\system32 directory with no change.

Updted the BCD to point to \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe, but that didn't seem to make a difference either. Although the error msg still points to \windows\system32\winload.exe NOT \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

It's as if windows has no idea where to boot from.

I downloaded the Vista recovery CD from MS and ran the repair tool. It ran for about 3 seconds then came back and said there are no errors. I also tried running  SFC /SCANNOW, but recieved ""windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation." immediatedly after starting.

anyone have any pearls of wisdom they care to share?

Thanks,

Dave

Options

2827 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

10663 Signins

147393 Page Views

• Views: 147393
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Winload.exe is missing or corrupt

2009-09-04, 15:39 PM

did you resize the C partition?

Options

8 Posts

09-04-2009

Oviedo, FL

8 Signins

139 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

Re: Winload.exe is missing or corrupt

2009-09-04, 20:07 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Nope, no resizing of the partition - no new hardware, no software installs. This is a very static environment

. I also should mention that I tried bootrec /fixboot , /fixmbr and /rebuildbcd all with the same results.

The woman that owns this machine said we was getting prompted to perform a Lenovo Basic backup everyday for the last week, as opposed to the once a month or so she was getting prompted. I don't know if that has anything to do with this problem or not, but it is worth mentioning.

Thanks!

Options

8 Posts

09-04-2009

Oviedo, FL

8 Signins

139 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

Re: Winload.exe is missing or corrup

2009-09-09, 14:47 PM

If I use the lenovo recovery disc to reinstall Vista on partition C, will it kill the existing users that are there now?

I know you could reinstall XP without affecting existing users. It would just reload the system files.

I've gone so far as to load a new Vista install on the unused partition space and rebuild the BCD from scratch, but this sucker just will not boot.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Options

8 Posts

09-04-2009

Oviedo, FL

8 Signins

139 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

Re: Winload.exe is missing or corrup

2009-09-09, 16:30 PM

OK. Now I'm totally confused. I rebuild the BCD from scratch. If I used BCDEDIT, I can see my changes. But when I boot, I get the same old boot manager window with the popular winload.exe missing or corrupt. When I press enter, I don't see any of my boot manager changes.

So.... then I decided. What the hell, I'll install linux in the free space and use GRUB as my bootloader. Install went fine, but guess what? Same ole windows boot loader.

Is the Lenovo hidden partition screwing me up?

any kind of hint from Lenovo support would really be appreciated. I'm running out of ideas.

Loading Vista on empty space - same problem

Loading Linux on empty space - same problem

rebuilding BCD from scratch - same problem

What's the story with the Lenovo hidden partition? Does it contain the boot manager? If so, how the heck do I get to it to change it?

Thanks,

Dave

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms