cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
epluspi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,249
Message 1 of 40

ideacentre 720-18ASU Desktop: how to enable AMD-V (virtualization)

I cannot run VMWare on this computer since AMD-V is not enabled. There is no such option in my BIOS configuration interface (I already upgraded BIOS firmware to the latest version).

Does anybody know how to enable AMD-V on this model? The CPU definitly suppots this feature (Ryzen 7 1700).

Kacperas
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,220
Message 2 of 40

Re: ideacentre 720-18ASU Desktop: how to enable AMD-V (virtualization)

I've checked old threads and found, that sadly it's not possible to enable this feature in current BIOS version. There's the link for other thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-Y-and-ErazerX/Ideacentre-720-Enable-virtualization/m-p...

------
jms209
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,157
Message 3 of 40

What do you loose without amd-v?

Not going to run much on windows VM, only maybe word and itunes. Would this really affect me that much.

gnilsson
What's DOS?
Views: 2,873
Message 4 of 40

This NOT a solution!
We need a new BIOS.
Not being able to run VMWare or VirtualBox is not what I expect from a Ryzen 7, 8 core system
Highlighted
sadata
Paper Tape
Views: 2,689
Message 5 of 40

Has anything been done about this yet?  This is completely unacceptable. I bought two of these units and if Lenovo doesn't rectify this soon, it will be the last Lenovo (of any model, including laptops) that I or my company ever purchase.

Sarexpert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,509
Message 6 of 40

This is not solved. Lenovo, step up to the plate and enable Virtualization especially for those of us who bought tghe Ryzen 7 Version!
Lost_in_Space
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,403
Message 7 of 40

So I did some digging around. It seems to me the limitation here is the motherboard used for this machine.

From psref:

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/TempFile/cache/594f0fe5-cba3-424f-8fcc-cc3367b16a28/ideacentre%20720...

The motherboard model used is AMD B300.

And further digging around about this motherboard, this image claims overclocking is locked on B300 motherboard. My guess is that AMD has also decided to disable the virtualization option along with.

Image source: http://hostinghacks.me/amd-ryzen-motherboards-explained-the-crucial-differences-in-every-am4-chipset...

If this is true, then it is a real dissappointment. And that both Lenovo and AMD might have been in on this (if true) is even more dissappointing.

I work with both Lenovo and AMD in my day job. Usually sitting on the other side of the table (partner/customer). If the above is true, and neither AMD nor Lenovo will address it, I am pretty sure we are going to cancel our order for these desktops and go with Dell and/or Intel i7, which offers similar capabilities (for our needs) with not a lot of price difference.

Please fix it. Or its bye bye for ever (or at least another 3 yrs) for both Lenovo and AMD Ryzen in our environment.

We really don't have much time. I just bought this desktop today for evaluation. And its been a disappointment so far.

I found this out after having installed all the updates and rebuilding the master image (which took several hours) and go to testing virtualization. What a pain in the rear!

Lost_in_Space
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,390
Message 8 of 40

I did more digging around. This person in the video link below appears to explain the core of the issue related to virtualization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPjTFam30kc

Further, the system  programming manuals from AMD available here:

https://support.amd.com/TechDocs/24593.pdf

.. appear to indicate lack of cpu virtualization on this desktop model is artificial.

Further, running CPU_ID on the desktop clearly reveals this particular AMD processor does indeed have virtualization support. See attached.

AMD-V.PNG

I am going to read the manual and see if I can figure out a solution. In any case, what gives Lenovo? Why the silence on this issue?

Lost_in_Space
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,387
Message 9 of 40

From AMD64 Architecture Programmer’s Manual, Volume 2: System Programming

Page 449

Enabling-SVM.PNG

If you give me enough time, I might try modifying your BIOS.

But I am guessing its probably quicker and easier if your BIOS development team took a look at it.

Lost_in_Space
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,332
Message 10 of 40

I called your support. This is what happened:

1) They weren't able to determine if this was a software issue or a hardware issue

2) They asked me to call "Software Support"

3) The person answering the "Software Support" said that it it was a premium service and that I would have to pay $199 for 1 year comprehensive support or $69 for 1 time.

4) At this point, I asked the person what if Lenovo couldn't solve my problem, would lenovo refund the support fee? The person answered that I'd have to reach out to the refunds department.

5) Then, I tried to explain to her my problem though technically is a software problem, it is in the realm of firmware/BIOS. At this point, she deferred the problem might actually be in hardware and asked me to reach out to them. (She was kind enough to connect me to them).

6) Back in the hardware support line, I tried to explain that I simply wanted to understand why the BIOS was missing "Virtualization" option.

7) The lady then offered an explanation to the effect that Lenovo Desktops/BIOS do not support Virtualization.

8) At this point, I was flabbergasted. So I asked to speak to someone who might understand the issue, perhaps a supervisor.

9) No supervisor available. Please call back 10 AM Eastern Time tomorrow. Its 7:00 PM PST right now. So another 12 hours of waiting to speak to someone with basic understanding of BIOS.

10) This is without doubt a very poor customer experience. I will call again tomorrow.

11) At this point, we have decided that we will no longer deploy Lenovo desktops in our environment.

12) I am however curious to understand the root cause here. So, I will persist. More updates to follow.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale