cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
synexo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,332
Message 21 of 40

Re: ideacentre 720-18ASU Desktop: how to enable AMD-V (virtualization)

Has anyone tried the BIOS released April 16th to see if they've addressed this issue yet?

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/DESKTOPS-AND-ALL-IN-ONES/700-SERIES/720-18ASU/downloads/...

Aguywhocodes
What's DOS?
Views: 1,306
Message 22 of 40

Tried the BIOS update, no new option in the BIOS and the AMD utility still shows AMD-V disabled in the BIOS.

Highlighted
comeon
What's DOS?
Views: 1,149
Message 23 of 40

OMG.. I should have read this before buy this computer.. I just bought it yesterday and just figured out no virtualization... wow ryzen 7 1700 with no virtualization I never thought about it. I'm going to return this computer soon and stay away from Lenovo for a while...

synexo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,106
Message 24 of 40

I was briefly optimistic after trying the April 16th 2018 BIOS update myself, as I noticed on the security tab there is now a 'credential guard' option. The description listed states that enabling it will enable virtualization, and amd-v specifically. However after enabling it I'm still seeing virtualization disabled. Wondering if I'm missing another piece that anyone else has caught or if we're still stuck with hobbled PCs.

SilentSeven
Paper Tape
Views: 933
Message 25 of 40

At this point, isn't it simpler to swap main boards to one that supports this feature?  I just went to add a second hard drive to my 720 and discovered there is no open SATA port.  Really Lenovo?  2 SATA ports and both are in use?  

At this time, I'm about to replace the neutered Lenovo mainboard and go to a 3rd party board that does not have all the silly limitations.  Looks like about $60 will do it.

Agree this is sad but is likely the most time effective solution.

EDIT - language adjusted.

jms209
Fanfold Paper
Views: 923
Message 26 of 40

Might not be the solution you want, but I just disconnected dvd drive sata cable(don't use it). Bought a $10 9.5mm laptop caddy, put ssd inside, plugged in sata cable and velcro it down to inside of case.

Similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0193WYW36/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have been using this for 4 months and no issues, just changed boot order and now can use it to boot instead of hdd. Speed is maxed out on my Samsung Evo.

SilentSeven
Paper Tape
Views: 904
Message 27 of 40

Thanks.  I looked at that.  That solves the SATA problem but I found that power plug to the DVD reader was not suitable for my 3TB WD drive.  How did you solve the power?

Again...all this is really making me look at a replacement mainboard.  I can use a non-proprietary chipset, overclock, run VZ, drive multiple SATA devices.  

jms209
Fanfold Paper
Views: 897
Message 28 of 40

Look at the caddy I linked, I just plugged sata cable into it, didn't do anything else.I even tested speed and got full speed, so power isn't an issue with an SSD.

A 2.5 in drive should be fine.

SilentSeven
Paper Tape
Views: 885
Message 29 of 40

Ah...right...don't think that will work for me. 

I need to run a second 3TB WD HD unit...not an SDD.  I'm sure there's some power dongle I can locate that will solve the problem.  

almosttechy
What's DOS?
Views: 642
Message 30 of 40

So has anyone replace the mobo yet or have recommendations from experience? Other forums show the ASROCKs as a good option. I'll look for anyone to post if/how they swapped out the crippled included mobo.

I can't afford to risk another Lenovo Ryzen 7 system while I wait for a response from Lenovo or others, so I bought a Dell Precision workstation in the meantime. No problem with virtualization there, but now my Lenovo is just an expensive web surfing machine until I find a virtualization solution, hopefully here.

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors