cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarexpert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,252
Message 31 of 40

Re: ideacentre 720-18ASU Desktop: how to enable AMD-V (virtualization)

I built up another computer and bought a Ryzen 5, yanked the Ryzen 7 out of the Lenovo and replaced it with the Ryzen 5 and used the Ryzen 7 in the new computer.
This only works if you need another computer also.
Folks who can't use the chip elsewhere have wasted a couple of hundred.

DisappointedFan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,224
Message 32 of 40

A new BIOS update was posted yesterday (27 Jun 2018) and sure enough, I was disappointed. This problem has been going on for far too long. I feel sorry for those that can't return or exchange this computer for something better.  I'm glad I still have one week left to return this dekstop to BestBuy. 

So much power. So much potential. But, so much disappointment.

Capture2.PNG

This was such an awesome deal until you find out it can't run virtual machines. Smiley Sad

Capture.PNG

whynovtx
Paper Tape
Views: 992
Message 33 of 40

Lenovo should really include a disclaimer about the deliberately crippled BIOS on these desktops so customers looking for a computer they can actually use can take their business elsewhere.

Highlighted
JRewerts
Paper Tape
Views: 892
Message 34 of 40

The last BIOS update, from August, fixed the 'disabled" lock on the virtualization. I was looking through this thread tonight trying to figure out why the AMD-V function was locked. On a whim, I updated my BIOS to the newest one and was suprised to see it has the function to enable VM.

Mod's Comment:  this post was marked as the Solution based on member's feedback on latest BIOS upgrade and that it resolved the issue.

sadata
Paper Tape
Views: 844
Message 35 of 40

They finally fix this and then screw over all their non-Windows users by only providing the BIOS update as a Windows executable.  I've already tried installing using FreeDOS and WINE, neither of which worked.  They should be providing a bootable image like every other decent hardware vendor.  Pathetic.

Sarexpert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 812
Message 36 of 40

I agree, the computer is almost old now. I updated the bios and have virtualbox with Ubuntu 18.04 x64 running, and am putting Windows 7 on now to run old programs.
I downgraded the processor from a Ryzen 7 to a 5 because I lost hope. Maybe it will remain powerful enough to run an old computer intensive program.
NYKINGB
What's DOS?
Views: 673
Message 37 of 40

Can you please help me out, updated my bios succesfully, but I still dont see the option to enable AMD-V. I was looking under the "security" tab, is it buried somewhere else?

**EDIT**

Nvm I found it, dunno how I didnt see it a first, incase anyone else has the same issue its under Advanced>>CPU Setup 

jms209
Fanfold Paper
Views: 626
Message 38 of 40

Anyone try the 8/30 bios udpate? Paranoid lenovo will remove amd-v support.

JRewerts
Paper Tape
Views: 613
Message 39 of 40

I just went the multi boot route. Linux Mint and Windows 10. Got 5 terabytes hd capacity so space wasn't an issue. Really starting to dig linux....

jms209
Fanfold Paper
Views: 594
Message 40 of 40

@JRewerts wrote:

I just went the multi boot route. Linux Mint and Windows 10. Got 5 terabytes hd capacity so space wasn't an issue. Really starting to dig linux....

I highly recommend Solus Budgie. Its honestly the best looking and performing distro. Can't go back Linux Mint.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors