Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SC_Tom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,871
Message 1 of 11

"Unknown BIOS vendor" when trying to update BIOS

I have a Lenonvo H50-55 desktop with an AMD A10-7800 APU (3.5GHz), 12GB RAM, 2 HDD's, and an Nvidia GTX 750 video card, running Windows10 Home x64. My current BIOS  version is IRKT54AUS, and the latest available version on Lenovo's update page for my machine is IRKT57AUS. When I try to flash my BIOS from the downloaded update file, I get the error message in the subject. I am starting everything with Admin privileges, but that makes no difference. If it's a Lenovo machine with stock BIOS, why am I getting an "unknown vendor" message? Inquiring minds want to know Smiley Happy

TIA!

justanotherjose
Paper Tape
Views: 2,822
Message 2 of 11

Re: "Unknown BIOS vendor" when trying to update BIOS

How did you switch your bios into running your GTX? I just got a GTX 950 and have a hard time running it. How did you make it work? I can't update the BIOS very well. But how do you even make the card start up? What did you do. I am so curious. 

SC_Tom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,818
Message 3 of 11

@justanotherjose wrote:

How did you switch your bios into running your GTX? I just got a GTX 950 and have a hard time running it. How did you make it work? I can't update the BIOS very well. But how do you even make the card start up? What did you do. I am so curious. 

Go into Bios > Devices > Video Setup and pick PEG as the device. Did you change your power supply? I read that the stock PS wasn't large enough, so I put in a Corsair CX 600. It works fine that way.

I'm wondering if maybe the discrete video card is causing the problem since the video on the APU is disabled. Although I don't see where that should make any difference. The APU has nothing to do with the BIOS. (Just thinking out loud, LOL.)

SC_Tom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,784
Message 4 of 11

I can't believe I'm the only Lenovo user to see this error :-(

Anyone?

bgl792
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,691
Message 5 of 11

@SC_Tom Did you ever find a fix? I'm having the same problem with my H50-55 AMD A8

SC_Tom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,689
Message 6 of 11

@bgl792 wrote:

@SC_Tom Did you ever find a fix? I'm having the same problem with my H50-55 AMD A8

No, nothing at all. I guess you and I are the only two Lenovo owners with this problem :-(

bgl792
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,653
Message 7 of 11

Spoke with 2 Lenovo techs today. While working with the 2nd tech, one of us noticed that on the BIOS page IRKT57A 4/27/2016 (notice KT) the download link is not for IRKT57A, it is for IRJY57A (notice JY).

So the reason the BIOS will not install is beacause it is not the correct BIOS for the H50-55.

We tried moifying the URL to go to the name "IRKT57USA.EXE" but that just gives a 404 page.

He said they will escalate the issue and try to get the page fixed so that it contains the correct BIOS.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Desktops-and-all-in-ones/Lenovo-H-Series-desktops/Lenovo-H5...

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop/irjy57usa.exe

SC_Tom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,647
Message 8 of 11

@bgl792 wrote:

Spoke with 2 Lenovo techs today. While working with the 2nd tech, one of us noticed that on the BIOS page IRKT57A 4/27/2016 (notice KT) the download link is not for IRKT57A, it is for IRJY57A (notice JY).

So the reason the BIOS will not install is beacause it is not the correct BIOS for the H50-55.

We tried moifying the URL to go to the name "IRKT57USA.EXE" but that just gives a 404 page.

He said they will escalate the issue and try to get the page fixed so that it contains the correct BIOS.

------

That certainly makes sense. I didn't notice it when I downloaded it; just ran it and tried to install.

Thanks for running that down. I didn't go quite that far (obviously). I'll keep an eye on the update page and see if it's ever updated, or the April date changes to a newer date.

Kamzin
What's DOS?
Views: 2,571
Message 9 of 11

They need to hurry up and fix this issue I have been on the phone with over 4 support agents and still this can not be resolved. STUCK_IN_THREAD_DRIVER...Need to update BIOS...

bgl792
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,445
Message 10 of 11

The BIOS download page has been modified. It now reports an update from 8/28/16.

The page stil has the BIOS name mixup (the download name IRJY59A does not match the name on the page IRKT59A) so I was not optimistic. But I attempted to appy it and it was sucessful on my system.

MSInfo32 now repots the BIOS date of my system is 8/12/2016.

Remains to be seen if this fixing any of the hibernate/power related issues I was having...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors