cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MsDogwood
Fanfold Paper
Views: 82
Message 1 of 5

what do I do after installing a new hard drive?

The hard drive in my H415 desktop died and I am replacing the Seagate 2TB drive with a Seagate 2TB drive. What do I do now? I have the Lenovo Recovery disks that I made when I bought the computer. Will those install the operating system (Window 7) and partition the disk properly? Also, Lenovo has some software available called DiscWizard - what is that for?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 60
Message 2 of 5

Re: what do I do after installing a new hard drive?

Please be aware that all support for Windows 7 ends in 2 months, efforts to restore Win 7 will be for little gain.  As your system is not supported for Windows 10, you may find the second post on this thread helpful:   Reminder: Windows 7 End of Support

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
MsDogwood
Fanfold Paper
Views: 53
Message 3 of 5

I understand - but if I do want to reinstall Windows 7, is that done simply with the Lenovo Recovery disks? Or are other things needed? I don't use this computer online and I would prefer to keep Windows 7 for my work.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 48
Message 4 of 5

I have not used Lenovo Recovery media on a new hard drive, only on an existing, formated SSD.  According to this, the Windows install disks should format the drive for you:  Tom's Hardware - Does New hard Drive need formatting?

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 44
Message 5 of 5

Did you have a 2 TB drive before?  Because it may be complicated by this: 

In the following article, it mentioned “In order for an operating system to fully support storage devices that have capacities that exceed 2 terabytes (2 TB, or 2 trillion bytes), the device must be initialized by using the GUID partition table (GPT) partitioning scheme. If the user intends to start the computer from one of these large disks, the system’s base firmware interface must use the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) and not BIOS.”

Here is a link for your reference.

Windows support for hard disks that are larger than 2 TB:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2581408/windows-support-for-hard-disks-that-are-larger-than...

Drive partition rules:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-biosmbr-based-hard-d...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors