Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jenny001
What's DOS?
Views: 413
Message 1 of 2

windows 10 upgrade botched, want to clean install, need product key

Hello everyone...  I was going to upgrade to windows 10, but something odd happened.   While still in 8.1, I went into safemode to do some last minute cleaning (malware checker, etc), but got stuck somehow and now safemode just restarts over and over.   My Lenovo H530 won't restart into normal windows 8.1 so I can do the upgrade.  

I thought this would be no problem, since a clean install of Win 10 was probably a better idea, but now I need a product key.   I have a Win 10 install USB ready to go, but I wanted to be sure about product key before I start....

Since I cannot boot into 8.1 any more, I plan on formatting the disk, and installing Win 10 from the USB stick.   I created the Win 10 USB using the Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creation Tool ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 )...

I am entitled to a free Windows 10 upgrade, but I just don't know how to get it done now.   Any ideas?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 403
Message 2 of 2

Re: windows 10 upgrade botched, want to clean install, need product key

Your Windows 8.1 key is embedded in the BIOS, so you do not need the key, but you likely will not be able to just install Windows 10 either as the 8.1 key is a OEM version.  

Have you tried using the Lenovo One Key Recovery option to restore your system back to 8.1 using the hidden recovery partition?     You will lose all of your data, but you would lose it too if your reformat the drive anyway, and that will at least get your system back up and running in 8.1 so you can try again. 

Lenovo H5 Series User Guide   (see page 19)

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/user_guides/h_ug_en.pdf

You can also try starting Windows 8 in recovery mode by holding down the Shift key and rapidly pressing F8 upon turning on the system, or by unplugging it once you see it just start to boot 3-4 times in a row, and you should be sent into the Windows 8's Advanced Repair Options where you can run System Restore.

Another option is to make a bootable System Recovery Disk (you can make one on any Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 system as long as the system used is the same 32-bit or 64-bit type as your system, which was most likely 64-bit Windows 8.1).    Once you make the disk on another system, you can boot to the System Recover Disk CD, and run a System Restore back to a restore point created prior to upgrading to Windows 10 or try an automatic repair.

The option to create a System Recovery Disk is under Backup and Restore in the Windows Control Planel and requires a blank CD-R or DVD.

How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 or 10

http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

Good Luck,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors