Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
Message 1 of 29 (2,730 Views)

H30-50 upgrade graphics card

[ Edited ]

I've searched and found a few posts on here questioning upgrading the GPU in the H30 but I haven't seen any follow-ups from people that have actually done it.

I'm in the same position with an H30-50 with a GT 705 that I want to change - ideally for a GTX 750Ti but I've found that it draws a bit more power than the GTX 745 which is on the Lenovo hardware list.  Lenovo list 2 ratings of PSU (180w and 240w) and I have a 240W.  The max power of the 750 is 60W against 55W for the 745 - which would equate to drawing about  2% more power on the 240W PSU.  Not much more and possibly within tolerance, although I have already added an SSD.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has actually upgraded their GPU in an H30 or comments about upgrading to a GTX 750Ti.

For info the comparisons are shown below. 

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2815&cmp[]=2843&cmp[]=2952

Guru
Message 2 of 29 (2,661 Views)

Re: H30-50 upgrade graphics card

Seems like it should work. As long as your computer case fits it, and BIOS supports it, then seems fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Token Ring
Message 3 of 29 (2,651 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've found a power supply calculator that some might find useful.

Putting my figues in with the GeForce GTX 750 Ti it shows my PSU producing a maximum of 237W.  Not ideal from a 240W PSU but I reckon it will be closer to a maximum of 212W as the DVD burner wouldn't be burning the same time as the CPU and GPU running under full load.

So, overall I think I'll do it.  Ordered, good old Amazon Prime delivering tomorrow!

Guru
Message 4 of 29 (2,618 Views)

Great, let me know how it goes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Token Ring
Message 5 of 29 (2,620 Views)

[ Edited ]

For anyone interested, the GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card (the Gigabyte low profile model that includes a low base plate) fits the H30-xx case.  The 240W PSU, supplied in the H30-50, is sufficient for the i7 model, the GTX 750 Ti and an additional Samsung 250GB SSD..  I don't think the 180W PSU would be sufficient.  

The GTX 750 Ti can drive 4 monitors: 2 x HDMI, 1 DVI and 1 display port.  As to performance, I was trying to run Just Cause 2 on the supplied GT 705 graphics card and I was able to get about 7 FPS at 1920 x 1080 resolution but even that speed needed all display settings at mimimum and all detail off.  The GTX 750 Ti gets over 50FPS at the highest settings and resolution.

So in summary, if you want to upgrade the graphics card in an H30-xx, the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti (low profile) is a good fit but needs the 240W PSU.

Mod's Edit: Edited the posting to conform to Forum Guidelines.  The posting of "for sale" items is only permitted in the General Discussion forum.  Please refer to the guidelines for sale restrictions. 

Guru
Message 6 of 29 (2,591 Views)

Great information. You can try selling your old graphics card on eBay, since its a safer place than selling anything on Lenovo Forums.

Regards,
Eric Xu

Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 29 (2,320 Views)

[ Edited ]

Do you still have no problems with this card? Did you need to switch your power supply?

I am not sure what model you bought. Is this one ? "GTX 750 Ti OC Low Profile 2 GB"

I really need to be sure what model is. It was easy to install? Any power plug needed?

Thanks

Token Ring
Message 8 of 29 (2,309 Views)

I've had no problems at all and the 240W PSU is fine.

This is the card I bought:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphics-Express-5400GHz/dp/B00NM3BTVG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redire...

What's DOS?
Message 9 of 29 (2,119 Views)

how hot does the graphics card get

Token Ring
Message 10 of 29 (2,109 Views)

I don't know the temperature but the fan only runs when I have a game running. 

Top kudoed Authors