Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo DesktopsLenovo Desktop Towers
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

11-04-2015

Drammen, Norway, Europe

2 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 1 of 2

H515s desktop won't boot or recover! Black screen/Lenovo logo and BIOS only.

2015-11-04, 1:52 AM

Turning on computer gives 'Lenovo' splash/logo. It will stay there or go black - sometimes "-" or "_" will appear blinking, and return to 'Lenovo'. Pressing F1 or F12 gives the appropriate menu's, but to no avail.

To turn off: sometimes a push on the power button is enough, other times it's the good old 'hold for a few seconds' that's needed.
Pushing F2, Shift+F2, F8 or any of the like doesn't seem to do nothing.
A RECOVERY DISK wasn't included, only one full of drivers.

I didn't try to upgrade to some newer Windows or anything. Current version is 8.1 - don't know what could have caused this. Must be something with HD and the partitions...

I can run other operating systems from Live-CD, or USB flash-drives and from there I get the error message that the Windows wasn't properly shut down and I can access the HARD DISK PARTITION in a READ ONLY mode. All files are there. If there is something I could do from "outside" it'd be cool, but ... READ ONLY!

Have spent days looking for solutions, no help. No access to a WIN 8.1 to make Recovery USB at the moment.
Had hopes when I found a site that would help me create a bootable USB reset/refresh Windows disk automatically, but it never loaded more than 0%!

These are some of the places I've looked for help:

How to Create a USB Recovery Drive and Use it to Recover Windows 8/8.1 - Lenovo Support (US) https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht080887
- No help as I can't access Windows

Boot Lenovo System in Safe Mode

http://supportforlenovo.iyogi.com/safe-mode-boot.html

- No help as pressing F8 isn't working.

Introduction to Lenovo OneKey Recovery 4.0 Restoring System for Desktops

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht077226#restore

- No help as pressing F2 isn't working.

Any hints would be appreciated!

-Love from Norway

Model: H515s
BIOS revision level: IKT 36 AUS
BIOS date: 11/04/2013
Options

2509 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3460 Signins

42820 Page Views

• Views: 42820
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: H515s desktop won't boot or recover! Black screen/Lenovo logo and BIOS only.

2015-11-11, 2:45 AM

Hey there. It seems like the Windows partition may be corrupted. You need to contact Lenovo support for a recovery disk so that your computer can get back to normal. However, if you are out of warranty, you can create a Windows 8.1 disk at this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media. You want to use a different computer to do this, and use a flash drive larger than 4GB. Then, when you boot into your computer that's having issues, you want to press F11 or F12 once it turns on. Then, go to boot setup, make sure CSM is on, and choose your USB drive as the boot option. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Communities:    Moto English     English     Deutsche     Español     Portugues     Русскоязычное     Česká     Slovenská     Українська   

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms