Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Super PM Chat

The Future of Windows Tablets

Join the conversation and share your feedback with the Lenovo Product team
What's DOS?
0 Kudos

3000 Q100 desktop power supply question

Hello all,

I have a lenovo 3000 Q100 8822 14Q desktop, with 2*512 MB RAM (and 2*1 GB ready and waiting).. I want to buy a GeForce 8800 GT card- and from what i understand the two critical criteria for compatibility are 1)the card slot and 2)the power supply.

I do have a PCIe x16 slot, so i dont think there's any problem there (correct me if i am wrong, my knowledge is limited). But apparently this card needs a minimum 450 Watts of power to run..I don't have the desktop with me right now(it's locked away in college and i want to buy the card before i go back...) but i dont think the stock SMPS is that good. So my questions are-

1) If i want to buy another SMPS, will it fit in the casing? (My CPU is one of those small form factor models...) Or do i have to contact lenovo for a customized power supply? (or is that even possible?).

2) My LCD monitor has some kind of a 2pin power supply that's plugged into the SMPS directly- can i get SMPSes that have that power slot? Or can i connect the monitor to an external power source?