Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

I/O device error when trying to backup system image on my K330B running Windows 7 Home Premium

I set up my Idea Centre K330B to schedule complete system backups to an external HDD once a week.  This worked fine for three months, then about a month ago a scheduled backup failed due to "device error encountered with either the source or the destination (0x8078012D)".  It also gave "Additional information: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.  (0x8007045D)"

I ran chkdsk/r on both the backup drive ( E: ) and the system drive ( C: ) and no problems were found.  The backup drive has plenty of available space.  I tried the backup to a freshly NTFS-formated external drive.  I tried the backup with my BitDefender 2012 Anti-virus disabled. I tried the backup after booting in safe mode.  Nothing works.

If I specify to backup only C: and not the reserved partition the backup completes with no problems.

I get the same error condition whether I perform the backup with Windows or the Lenovo backup software.

Is it possible I have a disk corruption on the reserve partition that is not found and repaired by the chkdsk/r C: operation?

I'm thinking about saving all important user files and rebooting to the factory settings, but if the reserver partition is damaged I might end up with a dead 4-month-old PC.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice as to how to get these backups going again.

Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

Re: I/O device error when trying to backup system image on my K330B running Windows 7 Home Premium

I just tried running the Lenovo Hard Drive Quick Test both in normal mode and in safe mode.  Both times it indicated a failed read test on the HDD. The last two tests also failed.  I forget what those tests were called.

I am really beginning to think I have a bad HDD and the problem just happens to be in the reserved partition where my factory system software resides.

Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

Re: I/O device error when trying to backup system image on my K330B running Windows 7 Home Premium

I am having this same problem.

Were you ever able to resolve it?  I was thinking of saving individual files and doing a factory Recovery, but like you said, I am very afraid it will kill my computer.  (Mine is an IdeaCentre B500)