Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Q180 MAC Question

It appears my Q180 (running Windows 7 Home Premium) changes MAC addresses on a regular basis (not sure if it occurs at reboot or other times). I observe this behavior by way of the AWIECO WakeOnLAN add-in that I use with my Windows Home Server 2011 machine -- it shows multiple unique MACs have been assigned to the Q180 client PC over time. It had increased to 5 unique MACs today.

I assume the Q180 advertises only one MAC at a time to the network and the WakeOnLAN utility is showing the history of previous MACs that it discovered as well as the current one. The other client PCs show 1 or 2 MACs (wired and wireless) and they never change, as would be expected behavior.

I have two questions: Is it normal behavior for the Q180 to change MACs (some kind of security feature)? If so, is there a way to prevent it?

BTW - I have not been checking the Q180 MAC via ipconfig only because the machine is used as a Media Center and I don't keep a keyboard and mouse attached so it's a pain to do. However, I will start doing that and comparing this MAC with the MACs shown in the WakeOnLAN add-in.

Any input is appreciated.

SCSI Port
0 Kudos

Re: Q180 MAC Question

May or may not be related to this but what is you download speed? Is it close to what you're paying for? I have terrible download speed always under by 80% of what I should be getting? All my other computer are good?