Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 3,277
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo @E3 - Submit your questions here!

Hey Legioners!

Our Lenovo Legion engineers will be answering any technical questions you have around our newly announced redesigned Legion gaming computers.

1.png

If you have any question please submit it to this thread, I will be taking them and passing them to our engineers.

Thank you to all in advance for your questions and I wish you a Happy E3!

Miguel Gonzalez
Gaming Community Leader

ajustinjames
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,130
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo @E3 - Submit your questions here!

Where is the Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU for the new laptops?

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 3,092
Message 3 of 9

What is the official recommendation for driver updates? Only from Lenovo or can we install manufacturer drivers as well (from nvidia or amd)?

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,994
Message 4 of 9

See, there's a few issues with always doing driver updates.

In actuality, there's only three reasons to update your drivers:

1) Security Fixes

2) Optimizations / Bug Fixes

3) Performance Gains

In my experience, updating NVIDIA drivers specifically doesn't always equal a functionality or performance increase. My general rule is to follow the OEM drivers for 2-3 years, then start updating with the chip manufacturer's, unless there are critical flaws in the OEM driver.

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
ajustinjames
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,663
Message 5 of 9

Are there any plans to have higher tier gpus like the 1060 or 1070 in the laptops? 1050ti for these prices are a bad deal.

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 2,655
Message 6 of 9

While the official specs mention only the 1050 the hardware maintenance manual does mention the 1160. Which is unannounced by Nvidia.

check out: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Legion-Y530-Manuals-and-GPU-info/td-p/4114874

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
ajustinjames
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,645
Message 7 of 9

Nice find, hope it comes out sooner rather than later.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 2,543
Message 8 of 9

Hi All, thank you very much for your questions. I will close the topic now as I will be submitting all questions. Will get back to you soon with all your answers.

Miguel Gonzalez
Gaming Community Leader

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 2,012
Message 9 of 9

Thank you all for your questions, here are the answers:

1. Where is the NVIDIA GTX 1060 GPU for the new laptops?

You can expect our PCs to refresh with the latest high-end GPUs offered by the industry. Stay tuned for more later.

1. What is the official recommendation for driver updates? Only from Lenovo or can we install manufacturer drivers as well (from NVIDIA or AMD)?

Updating drivers through Lenovo Vantage is the recommended path. Sometimes installing updates directly from the manufacturer may be necessary, especially if there is a requirement from an app or software to have the latest updates. 

1. Are there any plans to have higher tier GPUs like the 1060 or 1070 in the laptops? 1050ti for these prices are a bad deal.

You can expect our PCs to refresh with the latest high-end GPUs offered by the industry. Because of the undisclosed launch timing of those GPU’s, we moved forward with launching the next-gen Lenovo Legion PCs with the current GPU for now. Stay tuned for more later.

1. What is the official standpoint of the Legion team on GPU drivers? Should players install from the manufacturer (NVIDIA and AMD) or stick to official releases from Lenovo? Gamers often complain Lenovo does not release too often, and many are afraid of manufacturer drivers. Would be neat to hear the official standpoint!

Updating drivers through Lenovo Vantage is the recommended path. Sometimes installing updates directly from the manufacturer may be necessary, especially if there is a requirement from an app or software to have the latest updates. 

1. Why it is not installed on all Legion computers – SSD high speed drives, computers that still have HDD have bad performance.

We offer configurations that cover both options: combined or standalone. The reason for the variety is being able to meet certain price points for consumers in different markets.

1. How long is the development cycle and when can we expect upgrades with future development?

Our goal is to provide gamers with devices that are ‘stylish on the outside, and savage on the inside’ – machines that deliver a smooth balance between a sleek, sophisticated exterior and epic gaming performance. You can expect our PCs to refresh with the latest components offered by the industry – stay tuned for more to come.

1. Are there plans to make the BIOS more open for the Legion laptops? Closed BIOSes hamper the ability to customize the device performance.

Will better keyboards be added to the Legion laptops such as N-key rollover, mechanical switches and full RGB.

We’re always exploring and evaluating new ways for our gaming customers to customize performance, but we don’t have more to share on the BIOS at this time. The Lenovo Legion Y730 Laptop has 100 percent anti-ghosting CORSAIR iCUE RGB backlit keyboard, while the Lenovo Legion Y530 Laptop offers a white backlit keyboard – both offering under 1ms response time. More updates to come if/when we have news on any upcoming gaming accessories too – stay tuned!

1. With the advancements of Thunderbolt-type technology, are we expecting to see more ultra-portable gaming machines with eGPUs in the future?

We’re always exploring and evaluating new technology for our products, but we don’t have more to share on this at this time.

1. Are you planning to release i9 processors?

We’re always exploring and evaluating the latest components to power our products, but we don’t have more to share on this at this time.

Miguel Gonzalez
Gaming Community Leader

Top Kudoed Authors