cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mcwhiskers
Paper Tape
Views: 1,369
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Explorer crashes PC on install (BSOD)

Hi,

Just got my Explorer headset today, and rushed to install it, but keep getting serious, repeated crashes, with Windows Blue Screen (Bad poolcaller error).

It seems to happen due to the USB. I can have the HDMI plugged in, but as soon as I connect the USB to USB 3.0 port (or any other USB port), the crash happens within seconds.

If I then reboot, the crash happens as soon as Windows start. If I open Windows Mixed Reality, then plug in the USB, the crash happens immediately.

I have ASUS mobo, and saw one place that this might conflict with WMR USB drivers, so tried disabling legacy USB drivers and uninstall ASUS related USB drivers, but same result - BSOD.

Hope someone can help, thanks!

F3rz0
Paper Tape
Views: 1,304
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Explorer crashes PC on install (BSOD)

Hi, just bought 1 myself and have the same issue. Also got an Asus motherboard and when plugged in 1st time it went to mixed reality installation prog but crashed to blue screen right after.

I'm looking around for a fix, if I'll figure it out will post here.

Highlighted
F3rz0
Paper Tape
Views: 1,280
Message 3 of 6

Solved the problem with a help of this post: 

I had the same problem and fixed after a lot reading around, so: 1.) Change drivers to microsoft one for the ASmedia controllers by clicking rollback driver. 2.) In BIOS change settings to performance mode. 3.) In bios set the usb port to allow toget extra power which is "let usb to charge battery from usb 3.0" i guess. 4.) In bios disable legacy support for usb 3.0. 5.) In settings advanced power management set profile to performance mode. 6.) Make sure that all "usb hubs" in device manager have unchecked the allow to turn off usb to save power options.

For detailed information how to set all that google for all the options one by one, and make sure all are as i mentioned, othervise you will have blue screens, interruption, unrecognized usb, please connect headset, and a lot more errors...

All the problems come cause the mixed reality headsets take a lot power from the usb 3 and that's not that easy for the system to allow the device take all that power to keep on.

from here : https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/8h4qli/drivers_make_windows_mixed_reality_portal_and/

Works now, but it was a headache... so much for plug and use. When reverting Asmedia usb driver to microsoft version had to uninstall device twice.

Mcwhiskers
Paper Tape
Views: 1,265
Message 4 of 6

Hi F3rz0,

Thanks a lot for sharing the solution that worked for you, obviously not a quickfix. Going to try that tonight, and will post my results here, fingers crossed it'll work for me too.

Thanks again!

Bulbins
What's DOS?
Views: 1,104
Message 5 of 6

Hello, I have the same problem and I can not solve it to see if anyone could help me, I have a motherboard asus z170-a and I think I have done everything you say..but there is no way blue screen if plug usb
Mcwhiskers
Paper Tape
Views: 1,074
Message 6 of 6

In the end I was also unable to fix the issue. I believe I tried all the steps that F3rz0 suggested in his reply, but no luck, still get the BSOD as soon as I plug in USB.

I'll try and do a full windows reinstall after the holidays to see if that does anything.

Thanks F3rz0 for trying to help and good luck Bulbins.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors