06-08-2013

BE

1996 Signins

20023 Page Views

• Views: 20023
  • Message 1 of 1

Miix 700 Hands-On by Lenovo Insider Jonas

2015-09-08, 17:35 PM

The Miix series have been in the corners of my vision for a long time. I have showed a little bit of interest towards them. And tried to follow up their evolution, hoping they would some day be as good as the Microsoft Surface or the Lenovo ThinkPad Helix.

On IFA 2015 in Berlin, my wishes became reality. The Miix 700 is actually a improved Surface Pro 3 with plenty of more ports at your disposal. While it may look like a Surface Pro 3, it is certainly not a real clone. Lenovo applied their own touch to the design, and then improved it. Unlike what other competitors to Lenovo tried to do with the Lenovo Yoga, and failed somewhere in the designing proces.

miix700_1

Kickstand

The kickstand of the Miix 700 has a metallic feeling and does not seem to be easily scratched. The material may be comparable to the one found in the kickstand of the Yoga Tablet series by Lenovo.

The kickstand is attached to the tablet with the watchband hinge which was invented with the Yoga 3 Pro. The watchband hinge was supposedly to bring better durability and also a more beautiful design. One of the other reasons for Lenovo to go with the watchband hinge was to be able to make the Yoga 3 Pro thinner. And this is what they've also attempted with the Miix 700.

They wanted to keep the tablet very thin, but also very durable at the same time. And this is where the watchband hinge comes into play, by spreading the stress points, it will break less easily and put less stress on the actual hinge or the surrounding body. In addition to that you get a beautiful signature of a design.

miix700_2

Link to a larger picture on ThinkScopes.com

Surface, generic tablets and convertibles

The Surface Pro 3 has a starting price of 100 USD/EUR more than the Miix 700. This makes the Miix actually a more affordable convertible.

Where the Miix 700 also excels is that it has a lot more ports than the Surface Pro 3, and tablets in general. In addition to that, if you are a Surface Pro 3 owner, you will know how much all the adapters in your bag have costed you so far. I know a Surface Pro 3 owner, and when he listed me the prices of everything he had to buy to get a decent user experience, my jaw dropped to the ground.

Specifications

Processor Intel Core m7 processor (6th gen)
Memory Up to 8GB RAM
Graphics card Intel HD Graphics
Storage 256GB SSD
Camera
  • Front: 5MP
  • Rear: 5MP
Display 12" FHD+ (2160x1440 3:2)
Ports
  • 1x USB3.0
  • 1x USB2.0
  • Micro HDMI-out
  • Micro SIM (LTE/3G)
  • microSD
  • Audio combo jack
Weight 1.7 lbs (0.78 kg)
Dimensions 11.49" x 8.27" x 0.35" (292 x 210 x 8.95 mm)

Display

What is amazing is that the display has a 3:2 display ratio, which makes it more comfortable to use in tablet mode.

The first generation ThinkPad Helix (a ThinkPad product similar to the Miix line-up) was a little bit awkwardly shaped when it came to using it as a standalone tablet without the dock. Its 16:9 display ratio would make it very long shaped.

The 3:2 display ratio of the Miix 700 makes it very comfortable to use in portrait mode or land mode. The display resolution also has been increased from 1920x1200 to 2160x1440 over its predecessor, making it a beautiful and worthy successor to its older sibling.

Battery Life

Lenovo claims the Miix 700 can play videos up to 9 hours. Which is quite impressive. But better

Verdict

Pro:

• Kickstand
  • Watchband hinge
  • 3:2 display ratio
  • Many ports
  • Beautiful display

Con:

• Battery life could be 1h better.

What do you think of the Miix 700? Let us know in the comments.

Kind regards,

Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider, Windows Insider MVP

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Looking to buy a Lenovo machine? Find your country

Belgium | Canada | Finland | France | Germany | Netherlands | Sweden | U.K. | U.S.A.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save