Views: 4,545
Message 11 of 76

Betreff: IFA 2016: YOGA Book

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,533
Message 12 of 76

Is possible to customize layout of the virtual keyboard or is there any SDK for that ?

Views: 4,515
Message 13 of 76

@Puppy wrote:

Is possible to customize layout of the virtual keyboard or is there any SDK for that ?

Great question. No, you can't it is a drawing pad with a backlight hardwired keyboard that works on touch. Also, @JameZ checked this for me, to be sure, and said it is a backlight keyboard. 

The models they showed at the Launch Event was US keyboard layout. Good that you asked, I will ask at IFA tomorrow if they will come with different keyboards, e.g. German keyboard, Czech keyboard, UK keyboard, Swiss keyboard, etc, etc....

Do you have any other questions? Please post them here, as trivial or complex as the question might be I will be at IFA on Friday, so I can ask them all. The keyboard question is great!

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,468
Message 14 of 76

Re: Feedback @ IFA 2016: Yoga Book

@pat_box wrote:

The graphic panel also uses an electromagnetic field to detect handwriting on a paper placed above it. Thus, you could draw on a paper, or write your notes on a paper, and it will be digitalized on the tablet screen.

YES! YES! This feature is just so awesome! Lenovo Yoga Book copies handwriting off paper notepads http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37185539

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,450
Message 15 of 76

Does it have a GNSS chip built-in? I miss the GPS capabilities of the old TPT2 and TP10 (1st gen)...

Edit: I see from the Tech Specs that GPS is mentioned, but it is not clear whether that relies on the optional LTE hardware, or whether it is a separate chip.

Clarification, please :-)

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,451
Message 16 of 76

So the pen can work as a stylus (for drawing on the digitizer) and a real pen (when a piece of paper is placed on the digitizer)?

Do you have to switch barrels/tips? Judging on past experience with these sort of "specials", I'd be prepared to bet that refills will be neither cheap nor easy to obtain...

Edit: now I see from the BBC report that Bugbatter posted that there is a stylus, and a separate pen. I assume that the pen must be purchased separately? (I would hope that the Book does at least come supplied with the stylus)

I also read in that report:

"The third mode allows the part to take digital copies of notes written up to 1cm (0.4in) above its surface, meaning they can made by writing on a pad of paper."

That hover distance is much greater than what is currently achievable with the current Wacom AES technology as used in the Lenovo Active Pen.

So does that mean that this is yet another technology (or even the older Wacom EMR)? And what does this mean for compatibility with the Lenovo Active Pen?

Second edit: And now I see from the Tech Specs that the pen is using EMR technology. So the Book is NOT compatible with the Lenovo Active Pen. Ah well, I suppose I can use my 20 year old Wacom EMR pen with it...

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,409
Message 17 of 76

Thinking about this a bit more, I have to say that I'm scratching my head and asking: why do Lenovo think this is such a great device?

So you can't draw directly on the screen with your pressure-sensitive stylus, you are drawing on a separate surface and seeing the results on the screen. Hallo, welcome back to 1999, when digital artists were forced to use an external digitizer, because nothing else was available.

And as for note taking - it's far more intuitive to annotate directly on the screen. I don't really want to have to learn a new skill in writing blind on a separate digitizer.

Well, we'll see what the market thinks...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,406
Message 18 of 76

@gcoupe wrote:

Thinking about this a bit more, I have to say that I'm scratching my head and asking: why do Lenovo think this is such a great device?

So you can't draw directly on the screen with your pressure-sensitive stylus, you are drawing on a separate surface and seeing the results on the screen. Hallo, welcome back to 1999, when digital artists were forced to use an external digitizer, because nothing else was available.

And as for note taking - it's far more intuitive to annotate directly on the screen. I don't really want to have to learn a new skill in writing blind on a separate digitizer.

Well, we'll see what the market thinks...

Is it possible to save the image that is on the screen to an image file, or in the case of notes to a text file? I can see how that would be a helpful.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,406
Message 19 of 76

@Bugbatter wrote:

Is it possible to save the image that is on the screen to an image file, or in the case of notes to a text file? I can see how that would be a helpful.

OneNote (the full version) has had handwriting OCR built in for a while now, and of course you can save screen images. But what I was trying to get at is the mechanics of writing/painting blind instead of directly on the surface of the medium is not a "natural" experience.

Guru
Views: 4,372
Message 20 of 76

YOGA BOOK: Questions & Answers

Questions and Answers: Yoga Book @ IFA 2016

Touch Screen & Any Pen:

The touch screen does NOT have Lenovo Active Pen support or Wacom Pen support. It has, however, Lenovo AnyPen technology that allows the use of any pen for simple clicks or lines on the screen, incl. the digital pen or any normal pen. It does NOT have a wrist guard so it's mainly good for pen clicks (rather than drawing), which can still be handy in some cases.

The Create Pad Anatomy:

The 1st layer is a 0.5mm gorilla glass with matte and rough feel to facilitate typing and the use of the digital pen. The 2nd and 3rd thin layers are the touch panel keyboard & its backlighting panel. The 4th layer is the electromagnetic resonance film to recognize the digital pen. The 5th layer includes the battery and some other internal components of the tablet.

GPS and Mobile Internet:

The Yoga book has a dedicated Broadcom GPS chip; which is true for both the Windows 10 and the Android 6 versions. Oh yeah! The Yoga Book also has mobile internet, incl. 2G, 3G, 4G FDD, and 4G TDD. The mobile internet makes use of a nano-SIM card slot. Also included is a microSD card slot, which supports microSD cards up to 128GB. Oh yeah, again.

The Colors and Versions:

There are three colors called Champagne Gold, Gunmetal Gray, and Carbon Black. The Android M version will come in Champagne Gold and Gunmetal Gray. The Windows 10 version will come only in Carbon Black. The technical specs are the same for the Android and Windows versions. An Android N upgrade is planned (2 major Android updates are expected).

The Battery and Charger:

Both versions of the Yoga Book have an 8500mAh battery. However, Windows 10 is slightly more battery-hungry than Android M. Thus, the Windows 10 version will last for about 13 hours, while the Android version will last for about 15 hours of general usage (on standby, both versions can last 70 days). The 24 Watt power adapter combines 12V and 2A.

Pen Refills and Keyboard:

Yoga Book will ship with a removable digital pen tip and (three) ink pen refills. All technology is in the pen, NOT in the pen refills. Thus, in theory, it should work with any standard pen refills. In practice, not all pen refills might fit or would need to be shortened. The keyboard is hardwired and backlight. Thus, each country/region needs its own hardwired keyboard.

Notes and drawing apps:

The Windows version comes with OneNote (for notes) and ArtRage (for drawing). The Android version includes the Lenovo Note Saver (for notes) and ArtRage (for drawing). The Lenovo Note Saver can export the written notes to PDF. However, it doesn't have its own note-reader (yet), which limits the notebook-like experience (you can only read the notes in the editor).

The logic of the design:

According to Lenovo@IFA 2016, the original idea was to create a book-like thin tablet. This led to the flat keyboard under which some internal component are hidden (battery, etc.). This resulted in extremely thin two panels. With this design in place, the engineers realized that they could make a further use of the keyboard pad by incorporating a digitizer as an add-on.

Picture: Yoga Book Notes @ IFA 2016

Lenovo_Forum.jpeg

Picture: Yoga Book Area @ IFA 2016

WhatsApp Image 2016-09-02 at 22.38.15 (5).jpeg

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals