Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,626
Message 41 of 76

Re: YOGA BOOK: Questions & Answers

@gcoupe wrote:

Since I'm almost 70, I guess I should move on and look at something else...

Or buy two Yoga Books  instead Smiley Very Happy  -  Smiley Very Happy    (SCNR)

-

L40SX/240/240X/340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/570/600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/T22/T4x/T6x/T4x0/T5x0/W5x0/W700/X1/X2x/X3x/X4x/X6x/X6xT/X2xx/X200T/X30x/Z60m/Z61x

Español Comunidad en Español  English English Community  Deutsche Deutsche Community   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Untitled-4.png
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 2,622
Message 42 of 76

@gcoupe,

I think a target audience does not always rule a product out for you.

from my extended time with the product, I can tell you that if you like writing on a tablet/pc and/or like drawing digitally this is for you.

If you are looking for a machine that you can use to surf the web and write emails this is probably not the right machine for that, especially because the whole point of it is the Wacom tablet.

The PM also mentioned that the two main groups of people that use these are people who will write and people who will draw.

If you got this machine how would you use it?

Miguel Gonzalez
Community Service Readiness, Spanish & Gaming Community Leader

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,608
Message 43 of 76

@Miguel_Lenovo wrote:

The PM also mentioned that the two main groups of people that use these are people who will write and people who will draw.

If you got this machine how would you use it?

I'm a note-taker, with occasional diagrams thrown into the mix. Not an artist.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,601
Message 44 of 76

I see another advantage to the YOGA book and I'm not just saying this cos Lenovo pays my bills.

i think it is a good device to practise writing. By hand. Imagine that !

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Please do not PM me - questions belong in the forums. I will not respond to PMs. Thanks.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 2,597
Message 45 of 76

@gcoupe@Serene_Lenovo,

If note taking and note taking improvement is the goal then this is it. I can tell you that the digitizing of the notes is amazing. Everything you write shows up on the top screen. Lenovo and Wacom really hit it out of the park with this tablet.

This is what writing looks like:

Here is a video demonstration of the caricature artist using this device for drawing:

Miguel Gonzalez

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,592
Message 46 of 76

@Miguel_Lenovo wrote:

@gcoupe@Serene_Lenovo,

If note taking and note taking improvement is the goal then this is it. I can tell you that the digitizing of the notes is amazing. Everything you write shows up on the top screen. Lenovo and Wacom really hit it out of the park with this tablet.

But that's the whole point - we're going back in history to the time when we had to have a digitizer separate from the screen, instead of being able to write directly onto the screen (the medium). When I take notes, I look directly at the medium that I'm writing onto - not off to one side. I'm not saying that I couldn't get used to it, I probably could, but it still strikes me as a step back.

At least one digital artist has gone on record saying the same thing.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 2,581
Message 47 of 76

I had a long discussion with the caricature artist who was there and he said it is really a matter of preference, there are those that are ok with writing on a tablet and those who want to write directly.

He did mention that a normal complaint with people writing directly onto screen is that due to the screen temperature they tend to get sweaty palms and at times it can be uncomfortable.

The big difference here is that you dont need to write directly to surface, you have the real ink point for the digitizer and can write directly to paper. So in theory, you are writing directly on the surface:

IMG_2491-min.JPG

Miguel Gonzalez

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,561
Message 48 of 76

@Miguel_Lenovo wrote:

The big difference here is that you dont need to write directly to surface, you have the real ink point for the digitizer and can write directly to paper. So in theory, you are writing directly on the surface:

Yes, I understand that. It's just that I tend not to use real paper anymore for taking notes. I prefer digital ink and digital paper. I'll annotate digital documents directly. I'm not sure that the Yoga Book gives me (and my particular usage) any advantage over my Surface 3 (or my occasional use of the Yoga 900s in tablet note-taking mode).

As I've said before, the market will decide whether Lenovo has a hit on its hands, or whether the Yoga Book is a novelty.

Guru
Views: 2,490
Message 49 of 76

Yoga Book @ IFA 2016: some more questions and answers

Keyboard & typing experience: I was able to typewrite immediately with 10 fingers at fast speeds with almost 90% accuracy. I still would not write a novel on this tablet. However, for social media, the internet, or e-mail, it seems actually more than okay for typing.

Haptic feedback & keyboard: The keyboard has a nice haptic feedback. I could imagine you can turn off the haptic feedback. I also forgot to ask if the keyboard can make a sound on a type. I would assume that you can enable/disable both (I can ask if that is of interest).

Handwriting to text support: No preinstalled apps can do that. The Yoga Books sells in many countries and each country has a different way of handwriting so they did not feel comfortable with rolling it out. However, everybody is welcomed to use 3rd party software or apps.

Mouse, Monitor, Projector: No problem! It can connect to an external mouse or keyboard via Bluetooth or micro-USB. It can connect to an external monitor or projector via the micro-HDMI or cast screen. You can comfortably use it to do a powerpoint presentation.

Android experience: The experience is very stock android like. However, there are some awesome customizations. e.g. it has a windows-like taskbar where you can switch between running apps. You can also have multiple phone-size-like windows next to each other.

Software to tune typing: The software to tune the keyboard typing is supposed to work in a way that if you for example always hit a certain key a bit to the left, bottom, etc. the software will recognize that and extend the touch range a bit to fit with your own typing style.

Keyboard localization: Lenovo @ IFA 2016 said different regional keyboards have already been produced. The table will automatically recognize which keyboard it is. And both Windows and Android system are well adapted to work in different languages and keyboards.

Exporting of the handwriting and drawings: This can be exported to PDF and JPEG. Incredibly, it can also be shared via all kind of apps, like facebook, WhatsApp, etc. I assume that when you write or paint something, you can immediately share it as JPEG via any other app.

The active pen and the refills: The product will ship with 1 active pen, 1 tip to be used directly at the digitizer, and 3 refills with ink for writing on a paper. The refills are shorter than normal refills. You can replace the tip and refills with the pen cap. Or buy a second active pen.

Sound output and the front/back camera: The sound output was more than sufficiently loud and of a very good quality given how thin the device is. Front and back facing camera are not great but seem decent, especially, when intended to be used for video calling.

Picture: Better to See Once Than to Hear 100 Times.

WhatsApp Image 2016-09-06 at 00.38.29.jpeg

Picture: Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the cutest tablet of them all?

WhatsApp Image 2016-09-06 at 00.38.29 (3).jpeg

Picture: Because I have a brother I always have a friend.

WhatsApp Image 2016-09-06 at 00.40.52 (8).jpeg

Picture: The pen is mightier than the sword.

WhatsApp Image 2016-09-06 at 00.38.29 (1).jpeg

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,400
Message 50 of 76

@pat_box wrote:

@yoga Book @ IFA 2016: some more questions and answers

Handwriting to text support: No preinstalled apps can do that. The Yoga Books sells in many countries and each country has a different way of handwriting so they did not feel comfortable with rolling it out. However, everybody is welcomed to use 3rd party software or apps. 

Pat, I assume that you are talking about the Android environment. Don't forget that Windows 10 has handwriting recognition (handwriting to text support) built into Windows itself (and with support for multiple languages). So handwriting to text can be done for all applications/apps that support text input.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals