cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Employee
Views: 3,093
Message 51 of 76

Re: YOGA BOOK: Questions & Answers

To add on about the post from pat_box "Haptic feedback & keyboard" - Yes, you can disable haptic feedback & yes you can enable "clicking" noise to simulate typing.

Sound quality is great when you are in a quiet room, you can enable Dolby as well.

Awesome post pat_box ... Super detailed indeed! ^_^

**Secret** You can actually use an OTG for an external mouse but if you need more USB ports... you can ........ actually .... use a USB hub! ^_^ ... You only hear it here on Lenovo Forums ... ^_^

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,959
Message 52 of 76

The Lenovo Shop web pages for the Yoga Book don't spell out what the keyboard layout will be in the specific country where it is being sold.

Here in the Netherlands, there is a Dutch keyboard layout, but hardly anybody uses it - 99.9% of people just go with the US International layout keyboards.

I've just had an online chat with a Lenovo rep, and she confirmed my worst fears:

05:47:34 [Sarah B.] Hello. My name is Sarah B.. How may I assist you?
05:48:28 [Visitor] What is the keyboard layout of the Yoga Book for Windows in the Dutch market? Is it US International or the Dutch keyboard layout?
05:49:25 [Sarah B.] It will be Dutch layout
05:50:28 [Visitor] Ah - that's a pity. 99.9% of the keyboards used in the Netherlands are US International . The Dutch Keyboard layout is very rarely used. I guess Lenovo won't be selling many Yoga Books here then.
05:50:50 [Sarah B.] Ok, I will pass that on.
05:51:29 [Visitor] Thanks. I won't be buying a Yoga Book if it has a Dutch layout. Thanks for letting me know.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Guru
Views: 2,791
Message 53 of 76

Indeed. It will be very important to communicate to the customers that the keyboard is hardwired (not an LCD as it might look). It is a gorilla glass, under it is a printed keyboard layer, under it is backlighting for the keyboard layer, under all that is the digitizer. 

Each country will get different keyboard film in manufacturing, and this can NOT be changed or exchange, it is hardwired. The handling of different keyboards will be optimized by android or windows as if it would be any other external or touch keyboard layout.

P.S. Regarding the target age group discussed here, I believe the product is great for any age group. For example, my mom is only using a computer for E-mail, Skype, and web browsing, and she types with 2 fingers, and can't carry heavy laptops - ideal for her.

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,728
Message 54 of 76

@gcoupe wrote:

Here in the Netherlands, there is a Dutch keyboard layout, but hardly anybody uses it - 99.9% of people just go with the US International layout keyboards..

It is similar over here. Czech keyboard layout has typically two options, QWERTY or QWERTZ where the latter is hated by many people. There is also another issue, completely useless key between Z and left Shift key that is shortened. That's why I prefer US keyboard layout with QWERTY sequence and full size left Shift.

Paper Tape
Views: 2,568
Message 55 of 76

Could you specify how to switch of the haptic feedback of the halo keyboard? After 1 minute of typing I find it really annoying, but I can't find an option to switch it off.
o_p
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,502
Message 56 of 76

I actually got the chance to type a bit on the Halo Keyboard (though the device was locked, so there wasn't much to see. After 5 minutes I started to get the hang of it – seems not all of us older people (ok, I'm pretty much in the 99% percentile of the target demographic) have problems with that. :-)

It's sure a swelte device & I'd love to try it out as a lean machine for smallish development tasks, for which a chrooted Linux could just work.

In other news, the 700-11isk is recently on sale here in Germany for the same price, so it's better CPU + larger SSD + Windows 10 + actual keys + slightly larger screen vs. the leaner package + larger Battery + Android + Halo. I'm a bit on the edge here, but I don't have enough budget to buy both.

Ban_Codrut
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,386
Message 57 of 76

Lenovo Yoga Book: clarification on pen input for the screen panel

I understand that, from the specs of the device published on the website, both the touch part and screen part of Yoga Book support pen technologies:

• with the touch part supporting EMR for which the Real Pen is made for (and what makes possible writing on a block of paper on top of the touch part and having it digitalized as writting),
  • and the screen part supporting AnyPen with which the pannel will accept any conductive material as pen input (with no pressure-sensitive detection).

My questions are about the screen part of the tablet and the digitizer panel that it sports:

1. 1) Is the screen's digitizer an active digitizer ?
  2. 2) What will be my user experience using a (common or maybe Lenovo's) capacitive pen or even the included Real Pen on the screen part?
  3. 3) Will I still have no pressure detection using passive capacitive pens?
  4. 4) Will I be able to obtain, in any form, a close experience of handwriting as on the touch part of the tablet using the screen part for input paired with an active capacitive pen?

NOTE: I will be using the laptop mostly for notes and non complex drownings: that's my use case !

What I want to avvoid, putting it simply, is the user experience of passive capacitive digitizers with no pen support resulting in drawings like if I was using a mouse in Paint and trying to get a straight line.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,339
Message 58 of 76

Re: Lenovo Yoga Book: clarification on pen input for the screen panel

@Ban_Codrut wrote:

1. 1) Is the screen's digitizer an active digitizer ?
  2. 2) What will be my user experience using a (common or maybe Lenovo's) capacitive pen or even the included Real Pen on the screen part?
  3. 3) Will I still have no pressure detection using passive capacitive pens?
  4. 4) Will I be able to obtain, in any form, a close experience of handwriting as on the touch part of the tablet using the screen part for input paired with an active capacitive pen? 

Hallo Ban. Your understanding of the technologies used in the Yoga Book is correct; both EMR and AnyPen technologies are used. In answer to your questions:

1) No, the screen does NOT have an active digitiser. The AnyPen technology increases the sensitivity of the Touch (capacitive) panel, so that a wide range of (passive) pointing instruments can be used in addition to your finger.

2) Your user experience will not (IMO) be as good as using the Active Pen on the EMR panel. You will not have palm rejection on the screen, for a start.

3) There is no pressure sensitivity on the screen - because it's a passive touch technology.

4) It will therefore be a different experience of handwriting (no pressure sensitivity or palm rejection). Whether it will be sufficient for you is really down to you to make the call. But you are using a pointing instrument, rather than a mouse, so it will be an improvement over trying to use a mouse to make drawings...

Hope this helps.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

ralexand56
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,248
Message 59 of 76

Will the US version include a sim card slot and allow you to add a sim card?

Guru
Views: 2,234
Message 60 of 76

@ralexand56 wrote:

Will the US version include a sim card slot and allow you to add a sim card?

All version will include sim card slot and sd card slot. The sim card will allow 4G connectivity. You can see it also listed in the US lenovo store under tech specs (always re-check the specs before buying, but from what I know all version will always have a sim card slot):

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/yoga-book/yoga-book-android/

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals