Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
i2000s
HDMI
Views: 1,871
Message 21 of 32

Re: Questions, questions - IFA 2016

For the OS, yes, there are a bunch of other options, like the true Open-source Ubuntu Touch OS. AFAIK, OEMs need to pay Google some fees to preinstall the Android OS and Google definitely controls the development of Android. Anyway, should the computer preinstall any nice and free (cheap) Apps to better support the pen-writing feature might be a customer's concern here. The $50 price difference of the OS might not make a big difference I think. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.
Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,867
Message 22 of 32

@i2000s wrote:

AFAIK, OEMs need to pay Google some fees to preinstall the Android OS and Google definitely controls the development of Android. 

I think it is actually the opposite. Google pays OEMs to install that vulnerable toy "OS" with no regular security updates because it is essential part of their business. Google (and Facebook) can not survive without spying user activities and their private data (gmail emails etc) because that's the only way to sell targeted ads, the only income.

For a $50 you get Windows, fully supported true operating system with regular security updates. You still have administrator privilege account there so you don't need to "root" your device to remove unwanted software. I am still wondering why anyone would choose such dangerous and limited system like the Android is on such good hardware.

Views: 1,837
Message 23 of 32

@puntohgt2008 wrote:

1. Could you give detail on availability for Phab 2 Pro and Moto Z on German (as well as worldwide) release?

@Phap 2 Pro and Moto Z should be available in Germany around the beginning October to mid-October, according to Lenovo @ IFA 2016.

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Guru
Views: 1,827
Message 24 of 32

@gcoupe wrote:

pat_box wrote: 

Regarding Windows 10, indeed this is also probably the best Windows 10 tablet...

Hmm, I think many would be prepared to argue with you about that Smiley Happy It's different, I grant you, but "best"?

I said that Yoga Book could probably be the best Windows 10 tablet because -> the other better devices are marketed as a 2-in-1 notebook (not as tablets).

Lenovo Miix is marketed as 2-in-1 notebook, Microsoft Surface is market as 2-in-1 PC. Yoga Book is market as 2-in-1 tablet both for Android or Windows. 

There are clear features of the Yoga Book that make it a tablet, such as a tablet-like processor, no ventilation slots for cooling, its weight is just 600 grams!

When you look even at the midrange 2-in-1 notebook - Lenovo Miix 510 - it has an Intel Core i7 processor. So where does a tablet end and a notebook start?

Guru
Views: 1,814
Message 25 of 32

@puntohgt2008 wrote:

A dual boot system there might be a good idea as both worlds on this device have its benefits Smiley Happy

Agreed!!! A dual boot between Windows 10 an Android M would make the system irresistible. I would pay extra for that! It won't be easy to decide between Windows and Android.

Since Lenovo now developed 2-in-1 tablet & notebook version of Android for Yoga Book, that can be used with a mouse -> why not put that on some other 2-in-1 devices as well!

A Lenovo Miix that can be booted in Windows 10 or Android M; trust me not even Microsoft can do that. Windows 10 is a better PC experience. Android M is a better tablet experience.

i2000s
HDMI
Views: 1,806
Message 26 of 32

@pat_box wrote:

@puntohgt2008 wrote:

A dual boot system there might be a good idea as both worlds on this device have its benefits Smiley Happy

Agreed!!! A dual boot between Windows 10 an Android M would make the system irresistible. I would pay extra for that! It won't be easy to decide between Windows and Android.

Since Lenovo now developed 2-in-1 tablet & notebook version of Android for Yoga Book, that can be used with a mouse -> why not put that on some other 2-in-1 devices as well!

A Lenovo Miix that can be booted in Windows 10 or Android M; trust me not even Microsoft can do that. Windows 10 is a better PC experience. Android M is a better tablet experience.

Actually I would suggest to let Lenovo get the Android and Linux (especially Ubuntu) OS certificates, then people can install and multi-boot any OS they want. For reference, you can find how ZTE's CSX project's top rated idea for their next smartphones -- give freedom of choice for preinstalled OS or no OS  preinstalled (you can still vote there): https://community.zteusa.com/ideas/1869 

In this way, people can have more options on OS's with different price levels while Lenovo doesn't need to take responsibility to maintain the supports for all those OS's except for a bunch of certificates. Just my 2cent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,796
Message 27 of 32

Hmm, I told you we could argue about this! Smiley Happy

The whole thing about "best" is what criteria you choose, and this is down to personal definitions and tastes. I happen to find that I think of my Surface 3 as a tablet that happens to have a real keyboard magnetically attached to it. It also has an Atom processor (your tablet-like processor) that is actually faster than that in the Book, and it is fanless and silent. It weighs a tad more than the Book (690g), at 888g with the (real) keyboard.

I think what it all boils down to (for me) is that I'm not entirely convinced by the separate digitizer in the cover idea. It's what makes the Book different, but it's not something that personally appeals. I still enjoy occasionally using my original ThinkPad 10 with the Quickshot cover - that's the closest thing to a pad of paper that I've ever had.

Anyway, as I've already said several times, the market will decide. Cheers.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,779
Message 28 of 32

@pat_box wrote:

[OT]

You guys got me wondering what was possible now.  Here are a couple of screenshots of Android live on my Miix 700.  Didn't even know this could be done until 30 minutes ago.  Thanks for the idea Smiley Happy

Now back to your IFA conversation...

[/OT]

Z.

Miix 700 Android 1 RESIZED.jpg

Miix 700 Android 2 RESIZED.jpg

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Guru
Views: 1,764
Message 29 of 32

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

[OT] You guys got me wondering what was possible now.  Here are a couple of screenshots of Android live on my Miix 700.  Didn't even know this could be done until 10 minutes ago.  Thanks for the idea Smiley Happy

Wow, wait, how did you do that? In 10 min? You did not need to optimize the android to work with camera, etc??? It just works like that?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,753
Message 30 of 32

Sorry, it was more like 30 minutes.  Google, read, download, extract, boot...

http://www.android-x86.org/

That's Android-x86 booted on a flash drive running live (not virtual).  Bare-metal install and dual-boot look entirely possible.

I really didn't test anything much.  Just booted it, hit prt-scr a couple of times, set up an email account and mailed them to myself.

I'll test more things when I get some time.  There are probably a few (or many...) rough edges.

I'm amazed at how well it seemed to work given I'd never even heard of it before.

BTW, thanks for the great IFA reports!

Z.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals