Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 31 of 42 (854 Views)

Re: Flex 3 plugged in, won't charge

Yes, for sure I won't have them connected at the same time. I'm even thinking of not risking to charge the battery when the laptop is turned on.

Hope you get your stuff soon and update your progress here. I'll keep this post updated with my progress.
Thanks!
Paper Tape
Message 32 of 42 (783 Views)

For a regular laptop user like me, I don't know and don't understand some of technial solutions posted here. They are too technical and I just don't know what to do. I heard that Lenovo has the higest return rate at retailers like Bestbuys. I am now justing using the laptop as my desktop plugged in at all times. The battery shows 0% and when I unplug it from the power supply, it turns off immediately.  Never want to own another Lenovo...

Paper Tape
Message 33 of 42 (760 Views)

I've been having this exact problem for the last couple of days. I found a troubleshooter on the Lenovo Support site that helped. https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/nl/en/troubleshoot/lpt000249?linkTrack=diagPDT:Battery%20not%20charge%2...

The step called "Refresh battery inbox driver and Lenovo Energy Management Software / OneKey Optimizer" did the trick. The only software I had to uninstall was the driver (Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery), since none of the other programs are on my system. I had already tried this multiple times with no success, but this time I followed the instructions for performing a power drain here: https://support.lenovo.com/nl/en/troubleshoot/lpt000352. For the Flex 3, you'll need to skip step 3 and go to step 4 since the battery isn't removable. Also, since it's unclear in the instructions, I did NOT plug my AC adapter back in until my computer had fully booted back up.

Right now, I'm watching my battery meter creep up for the first time in two days, and it's a beautiful site!

Punch Card
Message 34 of 42 (738 Views)

@emcod Most of the people facing the problem in this thread have tried those solutions and they haven't worked out for us.

For everyone else. I did find a work around to charge the battery directly as mentioned in the earlier posts by @Corruptsector and me. I can now charge my battery with a separate charger and then use the original charger whenever possible. I'll soon post a few pictures of what I did. So far it is working fine for me.
Highlighted
Punch Card
Message 35 of 42 (722 Views)

So, here are pictures from my solution to the battery not charging problem. I soldered a couple of connections to the battery circuit board and rerouted them to a 5 mm 2.1 mm dia barrel plug (https://goo.gl/TAuJWR). Now I can use a 12.6 V 1 Amp charger (https://goo.gl/svHPkW) to charge the battery externally. The laptop still works fine in plugged in state with the original charger. Hope this helps a few of you. Let me know if you have any questions20170927_080905.jpg20170927_080915.jpglenovo battery.jpg20170927_080815.jpg20170927_082937.jpg

Paper Tape
Message 36 of 42 (710 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nice work GauravPatil

I have been busy and not started mine yet. I need to get around to it soon.

Waiting on something else to arrive in he mail, then ill give it a crack.

What's DOS?
Message 37 of 42 (517 Views)

THANK YOU EMCOD!!!!!

This definitely wasn't the most intuitive fix but it did work out when I followed the instructions set out here for  (1) uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver and (2) doing the power drain. I am back and charging 46...47...48...

Blue Screen Again
Message 38 of 42 (308 Views)

Excellent thread @Corruptsector and GauravPatil. Yes, I am another one with a Flex 3-1580 experiencing the same problem. GauravPatil, who was the guy in Florida that said he could repair the laptop? How did you find him? I have been trying to investigate if this is an actual fault in the charging circuit on the motherboard. Of course, I cannot find a schematic anywhere, but I have taken some close-up photos of the what I believe to be the charging circuit, http://bit.ly/Flx3Chrg. I am hoping to figure out if a faulty component or two might be replaceable.

Paper Tape
Message 39 of 42 (249 Views)

The IC used for the battery charge is a complex circuit, sometimes this kind of things happens when the mosfet next to the DC connection fails, I still triying to fix my laptop, if I made it I will post it.

Blue Screen Again
Message 40 of 42 (106 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi all.  I am starting to wonder if this is actually a BIOS & driver issue, as I had a breakthrough about five days ago...

1. UPDATE BIOS --- Note: I have the laptop running on AC only at this point (the battery is unplugged internally). I read on one forums post that the latest BIOS (same one for both Flex 3-1580 & 1480) resolves an IC capacitance compatibility issue -- BIOS ver. D3CN35WW (14 Nov 2016) / Windows 10 (64-bit). Download that BIOS update here, https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/downloads/ds105316. I had updated the BIOS previously, but it did not resolve the problem outright. I believe the battery has to have a minimum 50% charge (even if plugged into AC) in order for the BIOS update to run.
✔ BIOS up-to-date

2. REMOVE EXISTSING DRIVERS --- (1) I restored a Windows 10 backup I had from a year ago -- I am not sure if this is relevant; (2) I deleted the "Microsoft AC Adapter" and "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" drivers from Windows 10 under Device Manager >> Batteries -- i.e. right-click on each and select 'Uninstall device'; (3) I shut down the laptop, unplugged the AC -- with no AC or battery I HELD IN THE POWER BUTTON FOR 60 SECONDS to drain any residual capacitance from the board -- I then re-attached the battery internally.
✔ Battery drivers removed -- Win 10 will auto-reinstall at next reboot

3. BIOS DEFAULT SETTINGS --- (1) I used a paperclip to press the boot to BIOS pinhole button on the side of my Flex 3-1580; (2) Within the BIOS under the Exit menu item I selected "Load Default Settings", then "Save", then under the Boot menu item I had to select "Boot Mode: Legacy" or the system would not boot from my hard drive, then back under the Exit menu item I selected "Exit Saving Changes". The laptop restarted and Windows 10 booted up normally.
✔ Loaded default BIOS settings

To my amazement, the laptop started charging the battery and I had a full charge in 2.5 hours.

4. TURN OFF 'AUTOMATIC DRIVER DOWNLOAD' --- I wanted to ensure the battery drivers remained unchanged in Win 10:
i. Right-click the Start button and select Control Panel
ii. Make your way to System and Security
iii. Click System
iv. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar
v. Select the Hardware tab
vi. Press the Device Installation Settings button
vii. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button
✔ Auto-update drivers DISABLED

My Flex 3-1580 has been working normally for almost one a week now.  Above are the steps I took, as I remember them. I hope this helps other people.  Please reply with any other info you might have.

P.S. I downloaded and installed BatteryBar Pro (Free) v3.6.6 to keep an eye on the battery status; a handy util.

Top kudoed Authors