English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-15-2017

US

6 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 1 of 5

Flex 5 1570 Active Pen Stops Working

2017-08-15, 6:17 AM

I recently purchased the Flex 5, and thought it would be fun to get an active pen to go with it, so I picked up a Bamboo Ink pen. All was well for the first evening with the pen, I was able to control things with it, draw with it, everything you would expect from a pen. The next morning started fine, but after about an hour then pen stopped working. Nothing changed on the laptop, the pen simply went from working to not working.

Thinking it might be something with the pen, I went ahead and purchased a Lenovo Active Pen. When it arrived and I installed the battery... nothing. No response from the computer at all to the pen.

At this point I was worried that there might be some incompatability with some installed software, so I restored Windows, wiping out everything I had setup over the week that I had the computer. During the Windows setup process the pen started working. Hurray! All seemed well, until the next morning, when the pen stopped responding again. I now had two pens that had previously worked, but now were not responding.

Exasperated, I restored Windows again, but this time, nothing. That brings us to this morning. I ran a complete re-install of Windows. Once again, nothing. I then found an update BIOS for the computer and installed it. This time on rebooting, both pens began working. For the rest of the day everything seemed fine.  Though you should have realized, I wouldn't be writing this if everything were still fine. Yes, this evening, the laptop is failing to respond to either pen.

I've run all of the updates I can find, updated the drivers, followed other suggestions of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. I'm frustrated by what seems to be the random nature of the pens working and not.

Any further suggestions as to what can be done at this point would be appreciated.

Thanks

Flex 5 1570 80XB

i7 16GB

Options

2 Posts

08-15-2017

US

6 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Flex 5 1570 Active Pen Stops Working

2017-08-15, 20:34 PM

Update from today:

It seems completely random. I've kept the Flex 5 next to me, as I am using a different computer for work. When I tried the pens first thing this morning, still no response from either pen. On a whim, I tried this afternoon. Both pens worked! I had done absolutely nothing to the computer. It has simply been running on my desk. Sadly, I checked 10 minutes later, and the pens stopped responding again. Then they worked again 1/2 hour later. Now they've stopped again.

During all this time I have done nothing to the computer except try the pens on it at different times.

Options

9 Posts

01-27-2018

US

23 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 3 of 5

2018-05-13, 17:09 PM

Did anyone find a solution to this problem? My first Flex 5 the screen stopped responding to touch. After updating all the drivers from the support page my laptop actually overheated and the lid/back of the screen towards the bottom actually melted. Now the replacement they sent, the pen doesn't work... SO I am in search of a solution for that. I am going to have to give up on this computer even though it is absolutely (theoretically) perfect.

Options

1 Posts

10-29-2018

US

2 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 4 of 5

2018-10-29, 21:29 PM

Seconding the question "is there a solution to this issue"??? This has been incredibly frustrating as the entire reason I purchased this flex 5 is because it was advertised as something I could take handwritten notes with. This was supposed to replace my surface pro 2. I have been through THREE pens (two active pens and one active pen 2), all have the same issue. I have looked through this forum and basically every post that brings up this issue is unresolved. I have tried everything I can think of: buying new pens, restoring windows, updating drivers, etc. Still the same problem. Sometimes the pen will work, 90% of the time it doesn't. 

The photo I'm attaching is from a onenote page, the top two "testing" were written on my surface pro, the bottom two is what I get when I try to write the exact thing with the active pen 2 on the flex 5. Clearly that isn't functional.

I am completely fed up and about to return this lenovo and just go get another surface pro instead. This lenovo has better specs for the money but if it can't even function as advertised for the single most important function I bought it for, then what use is that to me? The surface pro will be more expensive but at least I won't have to spend days trying to troubleshoot something like this. I don't have time for this 

Options

5 Posts

07-15-2019

US

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 5 of 5

Re:Flex 5 1570 Active Pen Stops Working

2020-03-11, 21:23 PM

I waited 6 mo to use my Flex 5 1570 in 2018 & after another 6 mo the touch screen stopped working. It looks to me there have been a number of people w/this problem. I got this because I can't type easily & my previous HP (was NICE too) was broken by someone that didn't care.  I also have PTSD & I've been living w/this frustration of Lenovo not having a fix & not acknowledging, & wanting me to pay $69 to "maybe" have a tech over the phone fix it.  I have tried everything & have done everything in every order & will wait & go back & try again. I'd like to know what kind of company can't answer a middle aged disabled womans question?? They removed my posts about this issue a few weeks ago. All the emails they sent about my posts being flagged but not one with an answer. I am BEGGING someone to please tell me what to do. I have two unusable computers & I didn't have much money to buy this as a replacement in the first place. I am so frustrated. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete