Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 3 (402 Views)

How warm should the Idepad 700 be?

Hi,

this is just the second day with my new Ideapad 700, and I have just noticed that the right part of it (from the bottom right corner up to the top right corner, probably by the 20% of the width) is the noticeably warm.

The left is entirely cold.

The laptop is not loaded at all, the CPU graphs are below 5% and the laptop itself is not doing any heavy lifting job.

How normal is it?

Community Moderator
Message 2 of 3 (374 Views)

Re: How warm should the Idepad 700 be?

It is normal for some parts to be warmer, like under or over the CPU.  You might install a temperature monitor if you are concerned.  I have used TPFANCONTROL

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Bit Torrent
Message 3 of 3 (369 Views)

Re: How warm should the Idepad 700 be?

zerkms wrote:

this is just the second day with my new Ideapad 700, and I have just noticed that the right part of it (from the bottom right corner up to the top right corner, probably by the 20% of the width) is the noticeably warm.

The area that gets warm is where the SSD is located, and if the system is doing a lot of disk accesses, it generates a lot of heat.  The problem is that there is no proper cooling of the SSD, and this results in thermal throttling (when the SSD gets too hot, the firmware in the SSD reduces performance to prevent the SSD overheating). 

I used CrystalDiskMark to measure the speed of the SSD in my 700-15ISK, and got the results shown in this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y700-Brand-New-Dual-Boot-Windows-7-amp-Windows-...

The performance is worse than most SSDs, particularly the write performance (which is the activity that generates most heat).  I think that we are stuck with this sort of performance, until such time as laptop design includes a heat pipe connecting the SSD to the fan (i.e. cooled in the same way as the CPU and GPU).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Top kudoed Authors