Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

07-11-2017

Iran (Islamic Republic of)

41 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 1 of 8

Ideapad 510 15IKB disturbing fan

2017-07-11, 8:23 AM

hi

i've got this laptop a few days ago and everythings works fine except a disturbing cpu fan policy

it's constantly running even when i leave it idle for a long time and nothing is using cpu (temps hovering around 30!! and fan is running forever!!)

my question and request is why there isn't any option or tool or bios setting to adjust cpu fan policy??

beside a constant noise (it is not very loud though but audible) it can wear out cpu fan because my laptop is runnig about 15-16 hours per day and i dont play game or run heavy load softwares and i'll appreciate a more silent cpu fan policy

Options

3815 Posts

12-24-2015

India

2177 Signins

71411 Page Views

• Views: 71411
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Ideapad 510 15IKB disturbing fan

2017-07-12, 5:40 AM

Hi, Mohamad  -

Thank you for writing in to the Lenovo Forum - happy to have you here today.

When you have a moment, can you please refer to this bug that was filed regarding a similar issue and let me know if it is relevant to the problem you are seeing?

Update us how it goes.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented

Options

7 Posts

07-11-2017

41 Signins

126 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2017-07-12, 11:44 AM
yeah i saw that topic before but the guy who said the solution actually didn't mention what driver he did upgrade!! anyways i've updated all my drivers and bios before and didn't solve my problem
the question is it normal my fan always running even when i leave it idle for an hour or so ?! can we expect a bios setting/utility or sth to adjust cpu fan to a more quiet policy?
Options

3 Posts

07-14-2017

United States of America

12 Signins

73 Page Views

• Views: 73
  • Message 4 of 8

2017-07-14, 16:34 PM

I have the i5-6200u 15ISK model and I have the same issue. This is resulting in me getting headaches, despite me trying nearly everything software wise. There are no settings in BIOS to help with this (I've also updated the BIOS). I purchased this on the 1st, recieved it on the 12th and have been getting the issue the entire time. Things I've tried doing (plus more not listed):

• Updating to Windows 10 Creators Update. Tried briefly messing around with the maximum frequency settings in Windows 10 Power Options. No large change besides less performance.
  • Updating BIOS & countless drivers. Tried using Lenovo & native drivers.
  • Tried changing maximum CPU to 99% in Windows 10 Power Settings. No major difference, maybe a little quieter.
  • Tried messing around with both NVIDIA and Intel Control Panel Settings.
  • Tried using different fan programs, along with ThrottleStop. Tried using TPFanControl, Speedfan, you name it.

Despite my efforts, the laptop is still rather noisy which is causing me physical pain. This is most noticable when running anything even semi demanding CPU wise (such as GTA SA, a game title from 2005 that is in no way demanding for the modern machine). Based on what I've read, this is not an isolated incident and this is happening to countless others, with little reach or information from Lenovo. I did read about this a little before purchasing through the Lenovo forums, although didn't hear anything of it and saw good reviews on Amazon (which I purchased it through in new condition, the reason it took so long to arrive).

The laptop itself is lovely for what I need it for, it runs everything well although I cannot justify spending nearly $600 to be using something that's giving me literal headaches daily. My next step will be returning this back to Lenovo for a full refund, as this is not acceptable.

Options

7 Posts

07-11-2017

41 Signins

126 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2017-07-14, 17:51 PM

yep, i totally agree with u, i just wonder why they didn't fix this simple issue so far?!, just a simple change in bios or a tiny software that gives users a little control over cpu fan profile would solve this issue it's not a big deal, but we see no response from lenovo's staff so far and that's really really disappointing.

Options

3 Posts

07-14-2017

United States of America

12 Signins

73 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2017-07-14, 18:14 PM

I'm thankful that this has happened as soon as I got it. I'm able to minimize the fan's noise, although I can still hear it well enough that it disturbs me. Attempting to even run anything CPU intensive (GTA SA, a game from 2005 is a good example) will trigger a louder noise from the system, even when the laptop is extremely cool sitting on my lap.

I will be returning this and looking for something far away from Lenovo. I previously purchased a G50-45, which had a large amount of issues in itself although I was able to cope with them. The machine eventually died out after around a year+ of usage, likely a broken motherboard (which one or two others also complained about for the specific model). This was priced at around $299.99, so not a big deal.

The thing I like about this model is the good performance and the 940MX graphics card. It suits my needs, fan cannot be negotitated. I strongly recommend that anyone considering purchasing this device be able to cope with possibly coming across this. I cannot afford to be servicing devices, having them replaced or generally wasting my time over them. I've gotten 20% productivity done with this machine and 80% trying to fix something that should not be happening on a new machine.

Options

2 Posts

11-18-2017

Pakistan

1 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 7 of 8

2017-11-18, 22:38 PM

Hi, I ve Ideapad 510 i7-7500U 15IKB and I'm facing this issue too. The fan is not loud always but it apparently never stops. Its strange that no solution/reply has been posted so far by Lenovo support.

Options

3 Posts

07-14-2017

United States of America

12 Signins

73 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2017-11-21, 5:34 AM

There are  tons of other issues with the model, including the discrete NVIDIA GPU making the laptop unreasonably hot, on top of that it is hard locked to throttle once the GPU temperature reaches 61 degrees C.

Lenovo has done nothing to assist with this, I'd return it if you can.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms