English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

04-23-2018

US

6 Signins

124 Page Views

• Views: 124
  • Message 1 of 7

Latest BIOS update crashed Windows

2018-04-23, 23:47 PM

Hi.

My laptop is a Lenovo Flex 5 1570.

Two hours ago I've received a notification of a new firmware version. I downloaded it, installed it and after that, Windows is unable to start and crashed with a blue screen.

I've tried all recover and repair options, Safe Mode boot, and nothing sems to work.

The only option left is to reinstall Windows, but I thing that it won't work, as the problem seems to be with the firmware update.

Reinstalling Windows is a valid option?

Is there a way to go back to the BIOS's previous version?

What about the OKR option? Is there an OKR procedure for this machine?

Regards,

Gustavo

Solved! See the solution
Options

811 Posts

07-10-2016

GB

3145 Signins

83707 Page Views

• Views: 83707
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Latest BIOS update crashed Windows

2018-04-24, 9:55 AM

wrote:

I've received a notification of a new firmware version. I downloaded it, installed it and after that, Windows is unable to start and crashed with a blue screen.

The following thread describes a similar problem encountered with the Y520 model; try some of the suggestions made there:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Lenovo-y520-15IKBN-BIOS-update-4KCN41WW-Failed/td-p/4046225

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Options

5 Posts

04-23-2018

US

6 Signins

124 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2018-04-24, 13:34 PM
Hi. Thanks for your help.
Yes I have a "SATA Contoller Mode" setting, The options are "Intel RST Premium" (selected) and "AHCI".
When I select AHCI the following message appears: "All existing data stored on the drivers will be erased when resetting Controller mode".
I don't want to lose all my data, so should I continue?
Plus, the Boot Mode is set to UEFI, and it can't be changed. Somewhere I've read that it could be achieved by changing the "OS Optimized Defaults" to Disaale and then loading the default settings, but I didn't work.
I'm not even able to boot from a bootable pendrive, as the only option to boot from is the SSD drive. I'd like to access my data in order to copy it before reintalling Windows, at least.
Options

811 Posts

07-10-2016

GB

3145 Signins

83707 Page Views

• Views: 83707
  • Message 4 of 7

2018-04-24, 22:15 PM

wrote:
Yes I have a "SATA Contoller Mode" setting, The options are "Intel RST Premium" (selected) and "AHCI". When I select AHCI the following message appears: "All existing data stored on the drivers will be erased when resetting Controller mode".

I don't want to give you bad advice.  I have not personally encountered your situation.

I suspect (but cannot be certain) that the warning that you get from the BIOS is issued on the assumption that the system was correctly booting in "Intel RST" mode.  But it is probable that Windows was booting in "AHCI" mode (but the BIOS won't know that), and when you change back to "AHCI" mode, Windows will start booting correctly again.  But there is a risk.

I can understand your concern to preserve your personal files on the disk before changing to "AHCI" mode.  But I don't know how you could do this.  You can probably get it to boot from a USB memory stick containing a Windows install image, and open a command window to copy your files to a separate external USB disk, but the install image will be able to access the SSD disk only if the controller is set to... "AHCI" mode.  So booting from a USB memory stick without changing to "AHCI" mode does not solve the problem.

It really needs someone who has gone through this process already to confirm that you do or do not lose all of the data on the disk in these circumstances.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Options

5 Posts

04-23-2018

US

6 Signins

124 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2018-04-24, 23:27 PM

Exactly.

I've built a bootable USB memory stick with a Windows image but it turn to be useless.

I will probably spend most of my weekend removing the SSD from the laptop, connecting it to another machine via USB and copying all the relevant data. Then I will try the Controller Mode option.

It is a tedious task but I think is the safer procedure, in order to preserve my data.

In the meantime, if anyone has other suggestion I will be grateful.

Options

5 Posts

04-23-2018

US

6 Signins

124 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2018-04-28, 18:01 PM

Well, after dissasembling the laptop, I realized that there was no removable SSD unit. It was integrated on the mainboard.

Then, as there was no other options, I changed the Controlle Mode. Fortunetly, Windows booted normally and now the machine is running as usual.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

08-13-2018

RO

8 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 7 of 7

2018-11-09, 19:03 PM

probleme bios

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete