English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

10-10-2017

US

13 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo 320 - Rattling Noise and 100% disk usage

2017-10-25, 1:25 AM

Hello,

I recently bought a 320 with 12GB RAM and i5 7th gen processor. I noticed that every time I start up the computer the disk is being used at 99-100%. This figure eventually goes down within 15 minutes of use. The other issue is that there is an annoying rattling while the disk s being used at that amount, what could this be? 

Options

3906 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4399 Signins

49672 Page Views

• Views: 49672
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo 320 - Rattling Noise and 100% disk usage

2017-10-25, 2:53 AM

Not sure about the rattling sound, but to find out what is using the hard drive so much at startup I would use Window's Task Manager

• Open Task Manager (right click on Start, select Task Manager).
  • If not already set to show more details, select "More details" from the lower left corner of the Task Manager window.   
  • Once open, you can used the mouse to expand the Task Manager window, as well as use the mouse to change the column widths within the window similar to how you would in a spreadsheet.
  • The column you are interested in in the Disk column, and if you left-click at the top of the Disk Column, you can sort the running process (Name) column by the ascending or descending % of disk usage.    Once you have sorted the column by disk usage, note which processes are causing the high disk usage and reply back.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it could be either Windows Update, Window's Prefetch, or an Antivirus client, but it could be anything.

Good Luck,

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete