cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WarningU2
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 13

Lenovo 710S Won't Wake Up From Sleep

Brand new 710S out of the box with Windows 10 OEM installed 64bit.  Initial setup and Windows update all ran smoothly.  But a big problem appears when it goes to sleep... it won't wake up from sleep.   I have to power off and power on, sometimes twice to get it back.  I see this is  a common problem with other models but I'm opening this thread here to let community know it's also a problem with this new model too.   

WarningU2
Fanfold Paper
Message 2 of 13

Re: Lenovo 710S Won't Wake Up From Sleep

Ok ... so I found out how to fix this wake issue from sleep for my new 710S.   It's quite simple really.   Just turn off Fast Start.   

Fast Start is located at Control Panel > Power Options > Require A Password on WakeUp > Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable > Uncheck Turn On Fast Start.   

I'm not sure of all the technical details but it seems to use a hybrid hybernation option to start quickly.   As its an SSD drive on this baby it didn't appear to impact startup time enabled or disabled from what I can see from a cold bootup.

Sharing for anyone else that endures this frustration.   

Another frustration ... 1) how to enter the BIOS for this machine.  There is a little pin reset on the left side with a anticlockwise arrow (lenovo button) that a paper clip entered the bios after 2 seconds from power down.  I found out that UEFI is enabled for this at boot.  I left on.   Frustration 2) ... There is no sleep button for this machine.  So save yourself looking for it.  The only way to sleep is to set a time or the lid closing options in power options.

Anyways. ... hoping this is useful to someone in the future.  If not.  Sorry for the time waste ... hopefully you find your solution soon.  Good Luck.  

WarningU2
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 13

Well turns out that it is not solved.  I thought it was but that was not the case.  So I've turned off sleep.  When I close the lid it just shuts down.  It starts up in about 10 seconds so no real issue but its annoying me now.  I returned the laptop to a standard power config otherwise (hybernation available but not checked and fast start available but not checked and bios is still uefi), in prep for a support call with Lenovo that I scheduled today at 8 am.  The phone rang, I eagerly anticipated speaking to an expert ... waited on hold for two minutes listening to musak ... then click click Hang Up.   Lovely.    Please mark this as unsolved now.   Anyone have any ideas ... suggestions ? 

WarningU2
Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 13

And here is the solution.  

Scheduled another support call with Lenovo.  Chris was ready to have me ship the laptop back but we found the issue ... Turns out although I have the correct bios version and video driver installed the basic windows installed video driver was not uninstalled so still gets invoked at wake up.  It was causing a conflict with Sleep, as it does not truly support Windows 10.  (Don't get me started why the default driver from MS on a new computer doesn't support Windows 10.)

So what we did from Device Manager:

1) Verified I had correct driver:  Intel (r) IRIS (tm) Graphics 540 (v20.19.15.4364 2016-01-06 installed.  

2) Selected Rollback driver to the Basic Windows driver.  You have to roll back to uninstall.

3) Uninstalled that driver.   Laptop shuts down in the process.  Waited 30 seconds for the install of the only remaining correct Intel driver (screen is blank) power light is on.

4) Force reboot (hold down power key for 5 seconds) and when we come back up ... 540 Intel driver has reinstalled.  

5) Tested Sleep mode ... it WAKES UP! 

Other settings:  At Chris's suggestion ..Enabled Adaptive brightness from advanced power options.  

I also at my preference disabled fast start up and disabled hybernate.  

I hope this helps someone else ... good luck

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for keeping your post updated! 

Your solution will be most helpful to others.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue,      posting in the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

WarningU2
Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 13

And it continues...

After patting myself on the back and thanking the computer gods I gave my wife her new laptop problem free.   Not!

Won't wake up from sleep and even won't boot unless you hold down the power key.  It looks like it does but just sits with the keyboard all lit up nice and pretty.   It was ok for a day and then started this behavior again.   I thought maybe Microboft had installed the default driver again.  Nope.

So what is causing this?   I put my thinking cap on and wonder about the encyrpted drive boot up UEFI.  It's new, it's likely untested.   It's the only think left before I am forced to return this.   So I change the BIOS to use legacy boot.  

It's been more than a week and it is wakiig up from sleep, and even reboots without pressing the power key for several seconds.  It's operating normally.   Finally!   My wife is happy and won't divorce me (this week).

If you reached this point of my angst ... I feel your pain and will share a secret that will save you 20 minutes of additional head banging.  

So how do you boot up in BIOS mode, you maybe asking on a Lenovo 710S ?   Press the "Lenovo" button when powered off.   Sounds simple right?  

Where is the Lenovo button?  

After looking at the laptop and googling serveral places ... I find it on the left hand side near the USB port ... it's a little pin hole with a anti-clockwise arrow.  You need a paper clip to just touch it for a second (when powered off) and the 710S will show you the elusive BIOS settings.  Go into configuration and search around for UEFI (can't remember specifics but you will figure it out) , change to Legacy.    Then save it.   Be careful in here, this is the root of all evil so don't be changing anything without writing down what you changed.  If you do have a mini stroke in here and change things randomly there is a default revert key somewhere. 

Again .... good luck and I hope this post helps some unlucky soul that finds it.  

Please note, no laptops were hurt solving this problem ... but I wanted to.

Mod's Edit: Please keep in mind that these forums are accessed by people of all ages. Profanity and attempted profanity by circumventing the profanity filter is prohibited by Forum Rules and have been removed.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Message 7 of 13

Thanks for posting back again with the additional update although the profanity could have been left out of your informative post.  Smiley Happy

As for your difficulty in finding the Novo button.  This item is explained in your model's User Guide.  For future reference I've included a link below to that guide.....

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_710S-13ISK_ug_en_201603.pdf

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue,      posting in the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

WarningU2
Fanfold Paper
Message 8 of 13

Profanity excluded ... after posting today's update my wife reports that it won't boot again.   I think this product forum is cursed.  

I tried everything to get it to work ... I suspect the graphics card or screen has failed ... I can hear the fan but no more flash.   Even BIOS start is blank.  

Laptop is going back ... I will not get a new 710S replacement.  Just my money back.   For the price I expected a lot better. 

Farewell folks.   Hope your purchase is more successful.  

Philiplamkl
Paper Tape
Message 9 of 13

It is not resolved for mine..help me. Thank you
WarningU2
Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 13

Do yourself a favour and return the laptop if you can.   

Top Kudoed Authors